Wand of Watoomb
The Wand of Watoomb is an artifact that features in Marvel Comics.
There were reportedly five such Wands that were scattered across the dimensions. (Invincible Iron Man v2 #2)
The Wand first appears in the Hyperborean era (thousands of years before the modern age), when the barbarian Conan battles a priestess of the god Yog, who attempts to use the Wand to summon the entity. The priestess, however, panics in a final confrontation with Conan and drops the Wand, which Conan uses to fatally wound her. (Savage Sword of Conan v1 #188)
Within Watoomb's own dimension, he sought to pass the Wand to a worthy adept. Two candidates were selected with these being the Earth mystics Doctor Stephen Strange and Cyrus Black. Both were given half of the Wand to battle one another with Strange proving to be the victor. As a result, Doctor Strange won the full Wand of Watoomb whilst Cyrus Black's half later fell into the hands of another mystic named Xandu. (Doctor Strange v2 #34)
Sir Warren Traveler whilst captured in the Sanctum Sanctorum managed to break free from his restraints and knocked out Doctor Strange after which he acquired the Wand of Watoomb. (Ms. Marvel v2 #4)
One such Wand came into the possession of Victor von Doom who gave it to Iron Man in order to keep it out of the hands of Madame Masque who had stolen a decoy. (Invincible Iron Man v2 #2)
- The Wand of Watoomb was created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko where it made its first appearance in Amazing Spider-Man Annual v1 #2 (October, 1965).
- In Ms. Marvel v2 #4 (2006), the Eye of Watoomb was all that remained of the House of M's version of the Wand of Watoomb.
In other media
- In Spider-Man, the Wand of Watoomb made an appearance in the animated series in the episode "Sins of the Father". It was a mystical relic that was kept in the safe hands of Doctor Stephen Strange at his Sanctum Sanctorum. The dark mystic Mordo mind controlled a number of his human disciples and empowered them to steal the Wand so that he could use it to free his master Dormammu. It was later in his hands where he opened the gateway to the Dark Dimension but Spider-Man managed to return it and keep Dormammu in his dimension.
- In Doctor Strange, the Wand of Watoomb was referenced in the live-action film that was set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It was a mystical relic that was imbued with magic to hold a more permanent presence in the world. The Wand was one of the many relics listed by Mordo to the Ancient One's newest disciple Stephen Strange.
- In Marvel Heroes, the Wicked Wand of Watoomb was an artefact that appeared in the setting in the MMORPG video game with Doctor Strange said that fortunately it was frequently lost but unfortunately was rediscovered as well.
- Doctor Strange v1:
- Invincible Iron Man v2: