- Real World: February 22. Elvis Presley's song "Heartbreak Hotel" hits the music charts, bringing Elvis there for the first time.
- Real World: May 21. A hydrogen bomb test at Bikini Atoll in the Pacific Ocean nearly destroys the entire island.
- Real World: July 26. Gamal Nasser, leader of Egypt, nationalizes the Suez Canal. His action is condemned by various nations.
- Real World: October 23. Hungarians attempt to revolt against communist control, and Hungary itself tries to leave the Warsaw Pact.
- Real World: October 29. Israel invades the Sinai Peninsula, driving back Egyptian forces towards the Suez Canal.
- Real World: October 31. France and the U.K. begin bombing Egypt, hoping to force them to reopen the Suez Canal.
- Real World: November 4. Soviet troops invade Hungary to crush the anti-communist resistance. Thousands die or are wounded, and nearly 250,000 Hungarians leave the country.
- Back to the Future: Lyon Estate is completed. (Unsourced information from Back to the Future timeline)
New Fictional Works
Diamonds Are Forever by Ian Fleming, The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis.
Notable Short Stories
"Minority Report" by Philip K. Dick.
Around the World in 80 Days, The Creature Walks Among Us, The Day the World Ended, Earth vs. the Flying Saucers, Forbidden Planet, The Gamma People, Godzilla: King of the Monsters (U.S.), Indestructible Man, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, It Conquered the World, The Lone Ranger, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Moby Dick, The Mole People, The Quatermass Experiment, Rodan, Satellite in the Sky, The Search for Bridey Murphy, The Seventh Seal, The Ten Commandments, World Without End, X the Unknown.
Notable Comic Books
Notable Television Series
- Beginning: The Adventures of Sir Lancelot.
- Continuing: The Adventures of Robin Hood (Season 2), The Adventures of Superman (Season 5).
- Ending: The Adventures of Fu Manchu.
|<< Back to 1955||^Up to 1950s^||Forward to 1957 >>|