Amanda Waller is a female comic character that features in DC Comics.
In Kansas, Waller operated a secret black-ops facility located underground that stored Kryptonite in order to weaponise it. With the substance, an elite military team was assembled and were infused with the element where they formed the Last Line that was to serve as a failsafe to eliminate Superman. (Superman/Batman v1 #47) Chief among these operatives was a secret weapon in the form of young soldier Josh Walker who had signed for the bio-weapons immunisation program but was taken for an experiment that used Kryptonite to fuse the genetic material of Doomsday to his body. Thus, he was transformed into a Doomsday-like creature that grew Kryptonite shards and was known as the All-American Boy. The operation was discovered by Superman and Batman when they were looking to remove all Kryptonite from the planet. After defeating the Last Line, the All-American Boy was deployed where his battle with Superman brought them to Smallville. It was only stopped when Batman brought Walker's parents who helped calm their transformed son. In the face of this incident, the Last Line abandoned Waller and Batman had recovered files indicating the illegality of Amanda's project. She agreed to drop her program and help in restoring the damage from her black ops budget in exchange for the files where she revealed that her Kryptonite weapons were purchased from LexCorp. (Superman/Batman v1 #48)
The New 52
After the invasion from the Dark Multiverse, the Source Wall was broken with the Justice League informing the U.S. Government of the event. This led to the intelligence community first being aware of the existence of a barrier at the edges of the universe. This prompted Waller to seek out knowledge of other threats out in the cosmos with her sensing an opportunity when Brainiac attacked Earth. She gathered a large team of psychics to rip the knowledge from his mind leading to her uncovering the existence of the Omega Titans. Waller learnt of the existence of a dormant cosmic seed and sought to prevent it from calling forth the Titan. (Justice League: No Surrender v1 #2)
Personality and attributes
Powers and abilities
- Amanda Waller was created by John Ostrander, Len Wein and John Byrne where she made her first appearance in Legends #1 (November, 1986).
In other media
- In Young Justice, Amanda Waller appeared in the animated series where she was voiced by actor Sheryl Lee Ralph. She was shown as being the warden of Belle Reve prison.
- In Arrow, Amanda Waller appeared in the television series set in the Arrowverse where she was portrayed by actor Cynthia Addai-Robinson.
- In Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles, the character appeared in "Bomb" where she was voiced by Penny Johnson Jerald. She was shown as being the President of the United States of America and when Brainiac had escaped he went out of control threatening to destroy the city. In the Oval Office, attempts were made to call Superman for assistance but they received no response and National Science Adviser Doctor Sivana suggested the deployment of a low yield nuclear weapon to destroy the threat. This suggestion horrified President Waller but she reluctantly ordered a bomber to deploy the bomb but luckily Superman managed to end the danger.
- In Green Lantern, the character appeared as a minor character in the live-action movie where she was portrayed by actor Angela Bassett.
- In Suicide Squad, Amanda Waller first appeared in the live-action film set in the DC Extended Universe where she was portrayed by actor Viola Davis. It was revealed that she was heading a secret black ops covert program called Task Force X that sought to use Metahuman criminals as special operations squads. She had made a number of attempts to get government approval with this seemingly having failed. During this time, she had spent her time scouting for recruits with among them being Dr. June Moon who had been possessed by the extra-dimensional entity called the Enchantress where she managed to tae control of her by holding onto the creatures secret heart. After Superman's apparent death, Waller brought the project back to the government and managed to get authorization to form a squad of such criminals to be deployed on special missions.
- In Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, Amanda Waller appeared in the setting of the animated film where she was voiced by actor Vanessa Williams. She was the head of Task Force X and served as the warden for the supervillains that were assigned on the Suicide Squad. At some point, she was informed that she suffered from a terminal condition and came to fear about her fate in the afterlife. Thus, she sought to learn of a means to avoid going to Hell for her actions and sought mystical knowledge. This led to her discovering the existence of the 'Get Out of Hell Free' Card and used the Suicide Squad to acquire it for herself.
- In DC Universe Online, the character appeared in the MMORPG where she was voiced by actor Debra Cole.
- In Batman: The Enemy Within, Amanda Waller appeared in the Telltale Series where she was voiced by actor Debra Wilson. She became the head of the Agency who had the authority to take control of any local law enforcement operations. Waller came to Gotham City following the re-emergence of the Riddler where she was accompanied by Special Agents Iman Avesta and Vernon Blake.
- Suicide Squad:
- Justice League: No Justice: