Francine Langstrom is a female comic character that features in DC Comics.
After her husband disappeared, Batman came to hire Francine to serve as the head scientist in the study of a captured Omni Mind and Community unit recovered from Jardine Towers. Thus, she came to work alongside the Outsiders where she and Salah Miandad studied the machine. They came to reprogram the unit and named it ReMAC whose existence was kept secret from the Justice League. (Batman and the Outsiders v2 #3)
Following the Flashpoint, a new version of reality was created with a different history of events.
Whilst Kirk was away with the Justice League, Francine remained in Gotham during a time when there was a wave of bat-related deaths afflicting the city with the animals dying for unknown reasons. Francine was able to hear their screaming which were a constant barrage to her and a moment when she was not in control of herself she injected her body with the Man-Bat serum. This caused her transformation into Man-Bat with Batman attempting to stop her from harming anyone as she went into a crazed rampage till she crashed into the Old Kane Castle. Once there, Batman injected her with a serum returning her to normal and she was rendered unconscious but not before begging the Dark Knight to save the bats. (Detective Comics v1 #1001)
Personality and attributes
Powers and abilities
- Francine Langstrom was created by Frank Robbins and Neal Adams where she made her first appearance in Detective Comics v1 #402 (August, 1970)
In other media
- In Batman: The Animated Series, the character made her animated debut in the episode "On Leather Wings" where she was voiced by actor Meredith MacRae. Dr. Francine Langstrom was the blonde hair glasses wearing daughter of scientist Dr. March and she later married Dr. Kirk Langstrom where they pair became scientists that studied chiroptera. Following the appearance of a Man-Bat creature, Bruce Wayne approached the Langstrom's and met with Francine in order to consult with them about some genetic samples he had and sounds he recorded where he claimed that they were from some bats in his chimney. Francine commented that the sounds were of no bat species she had ever heard of though the Langstrom's agreed to help.
- In Son of Batman, Francine Langstrom appeared as a brown haired woman who was voiced by actor Diane Michelle. She was married to Dr. Kirk Langstrom and the pair had a teenage daughter named Rebecca Langstrom. Francine was not shown as being a daughter and seemed oblivious to her husband's hidden experiments that he was forced to do for the League of Assassins. After the death of Ra's al Ghul, Deathstroke visited the Langstrom family and took both Francine along with Rebecca hostage in order to force compliance from Dr. Langstrom. He wanted the doctor to complete his experiments on Man-Bat hybrids that he had been doing for Ra's al Ghul. Once given the task, he took Francine and Rebecca to one of his strongholds to maintain leverage over Kirk. Francine kept reassuring her daughter to have faith in her father and later the pair were saved by Batman along with Robin.
- In Batman: Arkham Knight, the character appeared in some video footage and a case file. She had been romantically involved with Kirk Langstrom in university where they pair received their PhD's with the two marrying. However, Kirk began to experience hearing loss and the pair began studies on bat's to find a cure. When testing the formula on himself, Kirk transformed into the Man-Bat and in his feral state he killed Francine leaving her body in the laboratory. After being returned to normal, he learnt what he had done from Batman and was left in an anguished state upon learning that he had killed his wife.
- Detective Comics v1:
- Batman v1:
- Batman and the Outsiders v2:
- Detective Comics v1: