Maltus is a planet that features in DC Comics.
On the planet were a small native green-skinned reptiles that walked on all fours and had a tail. The Maltusians studied these lizard as they believed that their minds had the capacity for a greater level of complexity. Thus, a number of experiments were made to enhance these animals with their improvements being passed on to the next generation. They were eventually released into the wild as a test of their survival traits. However, at this time, the immortal of Maltus had embarked on the Great Exodus as they sought to leave their homeworld. After their departure, the lizard lifeforms that they had experimented on had evolved into a bipedal race of intelligent beings known as the Psions. (Omega Men v1 #30)
Long ago, the Guardians sensed a disturbing energy from one of the moons of Maltus called Turi which they dislodged from its orbit causing it to move to the fringes of the system. (JLA v1 #110)
Following the Flashpoint, a new version of reality was created with a different history of events.
After the defeat of Controller Mu, the Guardians were summoned by the Cosmic Grail that called them to participate in the Ultrawar. Thus, they prepared to depart the universe to fight in that crisis but decided that a new generation of cosmic immortals were needed to replace them. As such, they had commissioned Mother Juna to breed such beings that were born from Guardian, Zamaron and Controller DNA with these being birthed on Maltus. Green Lantern Hal Jordan was dispatched to gather the Young Guardians and take them to Oa so that they could take custodianship of the Green Lantern Corps. (The Green Lantern: Season Two v1 #1)
One of its moons named Turi was removed from its orbit and sent to reside in the fringes of the star system. (JLA v1 #110)
An ancient Maltusian proverb was, "No living thing possesses a will stronger than that of every child." (Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps v1 #33)
- Mother Juna : (Green Lantern v2 #81)
- Maltus was created by Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams where it made its first appearance in Green Lantern v2 #81 (December, 1970).
In other media
- In Green Lantern: The Animated Series, Maltus made a brief cameo appearance in the episode "Loss" where it was mentioned by name. It was shown to be the one time home of the Guardians of the Universe and was where the renegade scientist Krona conducted his experiments in making the ultimate perfect machine. His laboratory on the world's surface was responsible for making the body of the Anti-Monitor which became sentient and threatened to destroy not only the planet but his creator. It was only the quick action's of Krona did the Anti-Monitor get removed from Maltus and sent into a parallel universe.
- In Arrow, Maltus appeared in the setting of the live-action television series set in the Arrowverse where it was shown in the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" crossover event. It was shown that billions of years ago, it was home to an advanced humanoid civilisation with Mar Novu being an inhabitant of that world. He and his wife intended to use time travel to witness the dawn of creation with Novu's wife constructing him a suit able to enter into the time rift. The experiment resulted in anti-matter being released and an incident emerged that resulted in Mar Novu being turned into a cosmic being known as the Monitor with a dark counterpart of him becoming the Anti-Monitors. The seven paragons used time travel in a desperate measure to defeat the Anti-Monitor and undo his destruction of the Multiverse thus bringing them to Maltus at the time of the experiment.
- Green Lantern v2 #81: (1970)
- JLA v1:
- Red Lantern v1:
- The Green Lantern: Season Two v1: (2020)