Monolith (Space Odyssey)
From Multiversal Omnipedia
The Monolith are a technological artifacts that features in 2001: Space Odyssey.
The Monolith were a series of black slab-like structures of various sizes created by an unknown intelligence who placed them in the Sol System.
- TMA-0 : a monolith dated to 4 million years B.C. where it was present on Earth and responsible for the evolution of intelligence in mankind and was later discovered by mankind in 2513 when it as unearthed in a gorge in Africa.
- TMA-1 : the Tycho Magnetic Anomaly One or Tycho Monolith was buried 20 feet below the lunar surface and was dated to three million years old where it was discovered by American survey satellites in 2001.
- TMA-2 : a monolith discovered at the Lagrange point between Io and Jupiter where it was encountered by the Discovery.
- The Monolith was created by Arthur C. Clarke where it featured in the setting of a Space Odyssey.
In other media
- In A Certain Scientific Railgun, the Monolith appeared in episode 13 of the anime series during a reproduction of 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was shown as part of a simulation with Mikoto Misaka and her friends accidently placed in a Moon based scenario with the Monolith present in the background.
- In 2001: A Space Odyssey (1977), the Monolith appeared in the setting of the Marvel Comics Universe where it had a mysterious ties to the Celestials. Machine Man entered into one leading to the robot gaining sentience as a result of the exposure.
- 2001: Space Odyssey: