Multiversal Omnipedia:Protected page guidelines
Administrators have the ability to protect pages so that they cannot be edited, or images so that they cannot be overwritten, except by other administrators. Administrators can also protect pages from moves only. These abilities are only to be used in limited circumstances.
Non-admins can propose changes to protected pages on the talk page.
Admins must not protect pages they are actively engaged in editing, except in the case of simple vandalism.
A permanent or semi-permanent protection is used for:
- Protecting high visibility pages such as the Main Page from vandalism.
- Maintaining the integrity of the site's logo.
- Maintaining the integrity of key copyright and license pages (for legal reasons).
- Protecting certain "system administration" pages.
- Protecting the often-used texts in the MediaWiki namespace.
- User pages and their subpages that are subject to repeated vandalism.
A temporary protection is used for:
- Enforcing a "cool down" period to stop an "edit war," upon request.
- Protecting a page or image that has been a recent target of persistent vandalism or persistent edits by a banned user.
- Preventing changes to a page while investigating a possible bug in the MediaWiki software.
Based on the original from Wikipedia.