Spencer Smythe is a male comic supervillain that features in Marvel Comics.
Smythe later approached J. Jonah Jameson after seeing the many Daily Bugles articles that spoke against Spider-Man and offered the services of his robot that he wanted to rent for a mission to capture the masked vigilante. (Amazing Spider-Man v1 25)
Personality and attributes
Powers and abilities
- Spencer Smythe was created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko where he made his first appearance in Amazing Spider-Man v1 #25 (June, 1965)
In other media
- In Spider-Man: The Animated Series, Spencer Smythe appeared an an antagonist where he made his first appearance in the episode "The Spider Slayer" where he was voiced by actor Edward Mulhare. He was shown as a brilliant inventor whose son Alistair Smythe was crippled after a laboratory accident confined him to a wheelchair. Spencer agreed to work for Norman Osborn to produce a machine to hunt Spider-Man. This was under orders from Osborns own hidden master namely the Kingpin leading to Smythe creating the Spider-Slayer.
- In Spider-Man, Spencer Smythe appeared in the 2017 animated television series where he was voiced by actor Benjamin Diskin. He was a former colleague of Max Modell until the pair had a falling out with Spencer serving as a teacher at Midtown High. His son Alistair Smythe was a student at the school and a rival to Peter Parker.
- In The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Spencer Smythe did not appear in the live-action film but was referenced in the viral marketing campaign. He was mentioned in a Daily Bugle article stating that he was the head of the engineering division at Oscorp who worked on a number of significant advancements in robotics. A further article mentioned that he was fired from his position as department head and was replaced by his son Alistair Smythe.
- In Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, Spencer Smythe appeared in the PlayStation 2 and PSP version of the game where he called Spider-Man at specific points in the story. He was shown to be allied with A.I.M. who he hired to capture J. Jonah Jameson in order to clone him and use him to control the publishing business. This was part of Spencer's goal to discredit both Jameson and Spider-Man. Smythe had the Jackal pose as a double agent onboard the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier in order to obtain Spider-Man's symbiotic sit. He later dispatched the Jackal t steal the Sonic Emitter at the top of Fisk Tower in order to unleash a mind-controlled Black Cat on Spider-Man.
- In Marvel Heroes, Spencer Smythe appeared in the video game where he was a scientist hired by S.H.I.E.L.D. to create robotic enforcers that he named Spider-Slayers. He was at the Raft studying Venom until a jailbreak caused all the supervillains to escape. In New York, he had the Spider-Slayers deployed to aid S.H.I.E.L.D. but an error caused them to turn on the peacekeeping forces. He was later captured by Venom but intended to reprogram the Spider-Slayers though the players character saved him. However, he resented being saved as he believed that if he saved himself he would have proved the Spider-Slayers worth and feared that Nick Fury would shut down the program. Thus, he stated he would get revenge against the player for their actions.
- Amazing Spider-Man v1: