Ursa is a female alien comic supervillain that features in DC Comics.
Following the Flashpoint, a new version of history was created with a different series of events. Ursa was shown as being one of the inhabitants of the Phantom Zone and had been known as the She-Devil. She was among the Zone's inhabitants that attacked Superman when he was displaced into that dimension by Xa-Du. (Action Comics v2 #13) She was noted for being the wife of Zod and the mother of Lor-Zod with the pair being in the Phantom Zone. (Action Comics v1 #984)
She then fought the members of the Green Lantern Corps that had come to free Jordan where she managed to defeat a number of her opponents along with the her husband and son. (Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps v1 #40)
Personality and attributes
She believed battle to be an art and not entertainment. As such, she felt that warriors should respect the combat even if they could not respect the enemy combatant. (Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps v1 #40)
To Ursa, Zod was everything to her as she considered him her teacher, mentor and her leader with her having fallen in love with him. During the time they were confined in the Phantom Zone, the pair found solace with one another and slept with each other where Ursa came to consider that he was no longer her commander or soldier but that they could be together as he could love her the way she loved him. She became pregnant from that time and bore him a son but came quick to realise that a commander did not fall in love with their subordinates and more was expected from officers. Thus, the distance between the pair resumed and came to see the logic of their relationship but still came to deeply care for Zod. (Superman: Secret Files 2009)
Powers and abilities
- Ursa was created by Richard Donner as an original character for the film Superman (1978) and was portrayed by actor Sarah Douglas.
- The character was later adapted for the comics by Geoff Johns and Richard Donner in Action Comics v1 #845 (January, 2007).
In other media
- In Superman, Ursa appeared in the 1988 animated television series in the episode "The Hunter" where she was voiced by actor Ginny McSwain. She was shown as a Kryptonian criminal banished to the Phantom Zone alongside Faora and Zod where they worked together to create the Hunter that was dispatched to Earth to get revenge against the son of Jor-El as well as free them from their extradimensional prison.
- In Superman (1978), Ursa made her first appearance where she was an antagonist in the live-action film and was portrayed by actor Sarah Douglas. She was a subordinate of General Zod and stood alongside him with Non when the three were arrested on Krypton and sentenced by the Kryptonian Science Council to the Phantom Zone. They remained trapped there for many years until the modern day after the destruction of their homeworld. Ursa along with her comrades were freed in Earth's solar system where they arrived on the planet's Moon and discovered that they were empowered by the star with superhuman abilities. They later arrived on Earth and sought to conquer the planet along with taking revenge on their jailer Jor-El by killing his son Superman.
- Action Comics v1:
- Adventure Comics:
- Superman: Secret Files 2009:
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps v1: