William Stryker is a male comic character that features in Marvel Comics.
Reverent Stryker later returned and became involved in the resurgent Weapon X program that sought the elimination of Mutants. (Weapon X v3 #4) During this time, he had formed the Church of Human Potential and had written a book called The Mutant Problem & the Holy Solution as a means of getting recruits. (Totally Awesome Hulk v1 #20)
He later returned in an enhanced upgraded cyborg body after he sold his soul to the Devil for the power to destroy Mutants. This saw him targeting numerous Mutants and those associated with them where he attempted to get them to kill each other in gladiatorial combat through the psychic influence of Mentallo. This saw Weapon X-Force being similarly captured but them managed to free themselves with Sabretooth gathering the freed prisoners as they attempted to kill Stryker once and for all. (Weapon X v3 #24)
Personality and attributes
Powers and abilities
- William Stryker was created by Chris Claremont and Brent Anderson where he made his first appearance in X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills v1 (1982).
- In Age of Apocalypse (2005), an alternate version of William Stryker was shown in this parallel reality. He was shown to had been raised by a preacher who cared for him and other children after Mutants slaughtered most of their town with his own father killed by other surviving humans. As a result, Stryker grew up to learn to live in hiding and accepted kindness from both humans as well as Mutants. By his adulthood, he took on the identity of Prophet and worked alongside a group of human survivors known as the X-Terminated that sought to avenge mankind. Among his acts was breaking into the apartment of a Mutant named Krakken that built ovens to incinerate humans and though he killed his target he did not harm the person's family.
- In Ultimate X-Men v1 #98 (2009), a version of the character was shown to reside in the Marvel Ultimate universe where he was known as William Stryker, Jr. He was the son of Admiral William Stryker, Snr. where he married a woman named Kate with the pair having a son named John. William became a reverend who lived with his family in Manhattan when the Ultimatum Wave struck New York. This event saw the death of his family with William being the only survivor. In the aftermath, he attempted to lead a congregation in prayer but was unable to do so as he was still in grief. During this time, he learnt from a group that the Mutant Magneto was responsible for the Ultimatum Wave and they encouraged Stryker's hatred in all Mutants. They later led him to a cache of armaments from destroyed Sentinels which William Stryker used to create an anti-Mutant militia.
In other media
- In X2, William Stryker appeared as an antagonist in the live-action film where he was portrayed by actor Brian Cox.
- In X-Men: Days of Future's Past, William Stryker appeared as a minor antagonist in the live-action film where he was portrayed by actor Josh Helman.
- In X-Men: Apocalypse, William Stryker returned in the sequel film as a minor antagonist where he was once again portrayed by actor Josh Helman.
- In Marvel Heroes, William Stryker appeared as an antagonist in the MMORPG video game where he was voiced by actor Jim Conner. He paid M.O.D.O.K. to create weapons for the Purifiers to use in their war against the Mutants and gave the Mutant genetic material to Mister Sinister.
- X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills v1:
- X-Treme X-Men v1:
- Age of Apocalypse v1:
- Totally Awesome Hulk v1:
- Weapon X v3: