From Multiversal Omnipedia
- Real World: January 25. Journalist Nellie Bly completes her trip around the world, beating Jules Verne's literary record (her trip took 72 days).
- Real World: June 1. The U.S. Census Bureau begins using a tabulating machine developed by Herman Hollerith to count census returns.
- Real World: August 6. The electric chair is first used as a method of execution (murderer William Kemmler, in Auburn Prison in New York).
- Real World: November 23. William III, king of the Netherlands, dies without a male heir; a special law is passed to allow Wilhelmina, his daughter, to succeed him.
- Real World: November 29. In Japan, the Meiji Constitution goes into effect; the first Japanese Diet covenes.
- Real World: December 29. Over 400 Native American men, women and children are massacred by U.S. forces at Wounded Knee, South Dakota.
- Captain N: The last "round people" visit Tetris before Prince Lyle's arrival in 1988. ("The Trouble with Tetris")
New Fictional Works
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle.
|<< Back to 1889||^Up to 1890s^||Forward to 1891 >>|