- Real World: January 15. The population of Mount Lamingtion, New Guinea- 5000 people- is slain by a cloud of volcanic gases.
- Real World: January 26. India becomes a constitutional republic, and Rajendra Prasad becomes their first president.
- Real World: January 31. U.S. President Harry Truman announces U.S. intentions to develop the hydrogen bomb. The last Kuomintang forces in China surrender.
- Real World: February 9. In a speech, U.S. Senator Joseph McCarthy accuses 205 unspecified employees of the U.S. Department of State of being communist agents.
- Real World: March 1. Klaus Fuchs is convicted in the U.S. of espionage- he gave the Soviets top-secret information on developing the atomic bomb.
- Real World: April 27. The Group Areas Act is passed into law in South Africa, establishing residential apartheid.
- Real World: May 6. The "Tollund Man," a deceased human from around 350 BC, is found extremely well-preserved in a peat bog in Denmark.
- Real World: May 9. Robert Schuman makes a proposal for an organized Europe- this is cited as the beginnings of the European Union.
- Real World: June 24. A commercial airliner crashes into Lake Michigan under unexplained circumstances.
- Real World: September 28. North Korean forces surrender and retreat from Seoul back to North Korea with U.N. forces in pursuit. End of the Battle of Inchon.
- Real World: October. Sister Mary Teresa, later known as Mother Teresa, begins her charity work in Calcutta, India.
- Real World: November 1. Griselio Torresola and Oscar Collazo, Puerto Rican nationalists, fail in an attempt to assassinate U.S. President Harry Truman.
- Real World: November 8. In the skies above the Yalu River in Korea, a U.S. jet pilot shoots down two North Korean jet pilots in the first jet-to-jet dogfight.
- Real World: November 11. The Mattachine Society, an early gay rights organization, is founded in Los Angeles.
- Real World: November 26. Troops from the People's Republic of China bolster the ranks of the North Koreans and launch a massive counterattack against American and South Korean forces.
- Real World: December 24. The Stone of Scone is stolen from Westminster Abbey by Scottish nationalists.
- DC (Generations): Joel Kent and Bruce Wayne Jr. are born. (Superman & Batman: Generations, Superman & Batman: Generations II)
- Real World: Diners Club, the first independent credit card company, is founded.
- Real World: The first pagers are invented. Antihistamine is first discovered.
New Fictional Works
I, Robot by Isaac Asimov, The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.
Atom Man vs. Superman (serial), Cinderella, Destination Moon, The Elusive Pimpernel, The Flame and the Arrow, Harvey, King Solomon's Mines, The Next Voice You Hear, Panic in the Streets, Rocketship X-M, Treasure Island, Unknown World.
Notable Comic Books
The Crypt of Terror #17 (first specifically horror-based comic book).
Notable Television Series
- Beginning: Space Patrol, Tom Corbett, Space Cadet.
- Continuing: Captain Video and His Video Rangers (Season 2).
|<< Back to 1949||^Up to 1950s^||Forward to 1951 >>|