From Multiversal Omnipedia
- Real World: May 18. The Tennessee law that banned the teaching of evolution (and sparked the Scopes Trial in 1925) is repealed.
- Real World: June 2. The death of a young protestor (killed by a police officer) against the Shah of Iran's arrival in Germany on this day leads to the creation of the terrorist group Movement 2 June.
- Real World: June 5. The Six-Day War begins between Israel and its neighbor countries (Egypt, Jordan and Syria).
- Real World: June 10. Israel wins the Six-Day War, and claims new territory (including the Gaza Strip, the West Bank, the Sinai Peninsula and the Golan Heights).
- Real World: June 12. The Loving v. Virginia U.S. Supreme Court decision declares laws banning interracial marriage unconstitutional.
- Real World: June 14. Mariner 5 is launched towards Venus. The People's Republic of China tests its first hydrogen bomb.
- Real World: July 24. French President Charles de Gaulle declares "Vive le Quebec libre!" ("Long live free Quebec!"); the statement is interpreted by some as support for Quebecois independence, encouraging supporters and angering opponents (including the Canadian government).
- Real World: October. The "Patterson-Gimlin Film," supposedly capturing images of a real [Bigfoot], is made.
- Real World: December 15. In West Virginia, the Silver Bridge over the Ohio River collapses; the incident is linked by some to the Mothman.
- Austin Powers: Doctor Evil purges his Evil Cabinet of nearly all his assassins for their failure to kill Austin Powers, leaving only Frau Farbissina and Mustafa. Both Powers and Evil are subsequently cryogenically frozen, Powers in the Celebrity Ward of the Ministry of Defence and Evil inside his Bob's Big Boy rocket in outer space. Number 2 becomes president of Virtucon in Evil's absence. (Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery)
- DC (Generations): Alfred Pennyworth dies, but his ghost lingers on. The Gotham Diamond Exchange Building begins undergoing massive renovations that continue through the next two years. (Superman & Batman: Generations)
- Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball (Movies): Caterpy is due to hatch from his cocoon as a powerful fighter. ("Tournament Begins" (Dragon Ball Z); 1,200 years after 767)
- Island of Terror-Night of the Big Heat: Fara Island experiences a staggering midwinter heatwave. Scientist Godfrey Hanson discovers that the source of the problem is an invading force of heat-producing aliens who have beamed down to Fara through television and radio signals. (Night of the Big Heat)
- Real World: A lost city is found buried in volcanic ash on the island of Thera.
New Fictional Works
Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin.
Casino Royale, Doctor Dolittle, The Jungle Book, Night of the Big Heat, Once Upon a Time in the West, You Only Live Twice.
Notable Television Series
- Beginning: The Amazing Three (U.S.), Birdman and the Galaxy Trio, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, Cyborg Big X (U.S.), Fantastic Four, The Herculoids, The Invaders, Johnny Cypher in Dimension Zero, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Mighty Mightor, Rocket Robin Hood and His Merry Spacemen, Samson and Goliath, Speed Racer (U.S.), Spider-Man, The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure, Super President and Spy Shadow.
- Continuing: The Avengers (Season 5 and 6), Batman (Season 2), Dark Shadows (Season 2), Doctor Who (Season 5), Lost in Space (Season 3), The Man from UNCLE (Season 4), Star Trek (Season 2), The Wild Wild West (Season 3).
- Ending: Adam Adamant Lives!, Captain Fathom, The Girl from UNCLE, The King Kong Show, The Lone Ranger, Marine Boy (U.S.), The New Adventures of Superman, Prince Planet (U.S.), Space Ghost and Dino Boy, The Time Tunnel.
|<< Back to 1966||^Up to 1960s^||Forward to 1968 >>|