- Planet of the Apes (Films): February. Known as the year of the plague. It is assumed the plague began when an unnamed space probe came from the moon. The plague spread all over the planet in months, killing all cats and dogs. During this time that in order to replace lost pets, people turn to keeping apes. (Escape from the Planet of the Apes; Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. The year is established on the Pet Memorial. The February setting from the Planet of the Apes 40th Anniversary Collection Blu-Ray set.)
- Real World: March 23. U.S. President Ronald Reagan announces his Strategic Defense Initiative, which the media dubs "Star Wars."
- Real World: June 13. Pioneer 10 leaves the Solar System, becoming the first object sent by man to do so.
- Real World: September 1. A Korean airliner is shot down after it accidentally enters Soviet airspace.
- Real World: September 26. Stanislav Petrov, an officer in the Soviet army, opts not to launch a nuclear counterstrike when his computers erroneously display missiles launched towards Russia from the U.S. He may have saved the world from a nuclear holocaust, although it cost him his career.
- Kill Bill: At age 9, O-Ren Ishii's parents are killed in front of her by the yakuza Boss Matsumoto. She swears revenge. (Kill Bill Vol. 1; O-Ren is 25 years old when she tries to kill the Bride.)
New Fictional Works
The Robots of Dawn by Isaac Asimov, The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, Christine by Stephen King, Cycle of The Werewolf by Stephen King, Pet Sematary by Stephen King, Phantoms by Dean Koontz, The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett.
- 1990: The Bronx Warriors, Alien from L.A., Amityville III: The Demon, Ator: The Fighting Eagle, Blood Link, Blue Thunder, Bog, Boggy Creek II, The Boogeyman 2
- Brainstorm, Christine, Cujo, The Dark Crystal, The Day After (TV movie), The Dead Zone, Deal of the Century, Death Warmed Up, The Devonsville Terror, The Entity
- Exterminators of the Year 3000, Eyes of Fire, The Final Executioner, Fire and Ice, Gates of Hell, Great Expectations, Halloween III: Season of the Witch, The Haunting Passion
- Hercules, The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Hunger, I Married a Vampire, Jaws 3, Kamikaze 89, The Keep, Krull, Liquid Sky, The Man Who Wasn't There
- Manhattan Baby, Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn, Mutant, Never Say Never Again, Night of the Zombies, Nightmares, , Octopussy, Of Unknown Origin, One Dark Night
- Pinocchio, Prisoners of the Lost Universe, Prototype, Rats, Razorback, Return of the Jedi, The Return of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. (TV movie), Robin Hood and the Sorcerer
- Rock and Rule, Scalps, The Scarlet and the Black, The Seven Magnificent Gladiators, She, The Sign of Four (TV movie), The Sins of Dorian Gray (TV movie), Skullduggery
- Sleeping Beauty, The Snow Queen, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Space Raiders, Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone, Strange Invaders
- Stryker, Sudden Impact, Superman III, Survival Zone, Testament, Thumbelina, Timerider, Tin Man, Twice Upon a Time, Twilight Zone: The Movie
- Urusei Yatsura: Only You (Japan), Videodrome, Wargames, Warriors of the Wasteland, Wavelength, What Waits Below, The Wicked Lady, Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain
Notable Comic Books
The New Mutants #1.
Notable Television Series
- Beginning: The A-Team, Automan, Captain Zep - Space Detective, Chiefs (miniseries), Dungeons and Dragons, G.I. Joe (first miniseries), He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Luna, Manimal, Saturday Supercade, Star Fleet, Terrahawks, V, Voltron: Defender of the Universe (miniseries).
- Continuing: Doctor Who (Season 21).
- Ending: Blackstar, The Incredible Hulk, Voyagers.
Notable Role-Playing Games
Dungeons and Dragons Basic Set, James Bond 007, Palladium Fantasy Role-Playing Game.
Notable Electronic Games
Dragon's Lair (arcade), Space Ace (arcade), Star Wars (arcade).
|<< Back to 1982||^Up to 1980s^||Forward to 1984 >>|