Beast Boy is a male comic superhero who features in Marvel Comics.
His father was said to had been a great medical doctor who specialised in biological research. He was fascinated with the idea of reversing evolution of reptiles into their dinosaur ancestors with him conducting this research in Africa with his family staying by him. (Doom Patrol v1 #100) They were accompanied by Dr. Samuel Register who were involved in the study of the genetic link between man and animals. (Teen Titans v3 #13) He achieved a breakthrough when his wife Marie revealed that their son had been infected with Sakutia that was a disease related to Malaria which had no known case of someone surviving it. (Doom Patrol v1 #100) This was because he was bitten by one of the famed green monkeys and thus infected with the deadly green disease. (Teen Titans v3 #13) To save his son, his father subjected him to the devolution treatment as the West African green monkey was immune to the disease. He stayed within the form of a monkey until he was cured of the disease after which he returned to a human form but a side effect of the cure led to him developing green skin along with the ability to change into the form of any animal. (Doom Patrol v1 #100)
One day, a terrible storm affected the region causing intense rain that led to a flash flood. The family were trapped in it where Beast Boy managed to escape by turning into a bird but his parents fell to their death over a cliff edge due to the turbulent waters. (Doom Patrol v1 #100) Before their death, Mark and Marie Logan bade their son Garfield to go to the local African village of the King Tawaba who his father had treated and that the man would care for him. Gar arrived only to find that Tawaba was dying from a deadly fever but was informed that a cure existed from a rare plant which he brought back thus saving the chieftain. The chieftain and his wife decided to adopt the boy where he lived with them and learnt to use his shapeshifting powers. (Doom Patrol v1 #112) The village witch-doctor became threatened by young Beast Boy and thus conspired to have him killed. An opportunity presented itself when some explorers were looking to pillage famed diamonds in the region. The witch-doctor offered them the sacred diamonds in exchange for eliminating the boy. After showing them the diamonds, the two armed men decided to eliminate the witch-doctor instead but Beast Boy intervened in an attempt to save him but was wounded by a gunshot instead. The two men then abducted the Beast Boy who they found to be valuable and quickly moved to depart Africa whilst being pursued by the jungle patrol as well as the angry tribe who wanted to take back the boy who was charge of their chieftain. (Doom Patrol v1 #113) The two criminals named Kurt and Stokes took the young green-skinned boy with them to Johannesburg. Once there, they pretended to be his friends and had him live the life of a thief by using his shapeshifting talents to steal diamonds, gold and other valuables. The police were unable to catch the men in the act as they continued their thefts. This was until one day that the young Beast Boy pulled a prank on them by taking the valuables and hiding it in the others room. This caused Kurt and Stoke to believe the other had double crossed them leading to an argument and an eventual firefight with the two killing one another. As a result, the young Beast Boy was once again without any adult to care for him as he now came to live on the streets. (Doom Patrol v1 #114)
Upon returning to America, a court appointed guardian was given to the orphaned boy with this being Nicholas Galtry. (Doom Patrol v1 #100)
Following the Flashpoint, a new version of reality was created with a different history of events.
In the aftermath of the crisis, Beast Boy returned to Earth but exposure to energy from the Source Wall affected his abilities causing him to lose control over his shapeshifting abilities. This caused him to turn into a more brutish monstrous form unless he concentrated but he struggled in regaining control over his powers. Nightwing approached him where he offered him a place on the Titans to respond to Source energy Emergent Events. (Titans Special v1 #1)
Personality and attributes
Gar was said to had been naturally curious from childhood that was a trait he shared with his parents. (Teen Titans v3 #13)
He said that he hated needles. (Teen Titans v3 #13)
His father was Mark Logan was noted for being a brilliant post-graduate who had become an M.D. when he was 25 years old. Rather than go into practice, he wanted to go into the life of a researcher of bio-chemistry with a passion for the links between animal and humans. (Doom Patrol v1 #112)
Powers and abilities
- Beast Boy was created by Arnold Drake and Bob Brow where he made his first appearance in Doom Patrol v1 #99 (November, 1965).
- He later appeared as Changeling under Marv Wolfman and George Pérez where he debutted in this identity in DC Comics Presents v1 #26 (October, 1980).
In other media
- In Teen Titans, Beast Boy appeared in the animated television series where he was voiced by actor Greg Cipes.
- In Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Beast Boy made a brief non-voiced cameo appearance in the animated television series in the episode "The Last Patrol".
- In Young Justice, Garfield Logan appeared in the animated television series starting in the episode "Image" where he was voiced by actor Logan Grove. This version had a different origin as he was the eight year old son of former television actress Marie Logan who raised him as a lone parent where she the Logan Animal Sanctuary at the Bialyan border of Qurac. An accident instigated by Queen Bee caused the Team to arrive on the scene where Garfield was badly wounded and necessitated a blood transfusion that was provided by Miss Martian. As she was a Martian, this led to her blood having an impact on his biology allowing Garfield to eventually develop green-skin and having the power to shapeshift into various animals.
- In Titans, Garfield Logan appeared in the live-action television series where he was portrayed by actor Ryan Potter.
- In Justice League vs. Teen Titans, Beast Boy appeared in the animated film where he was voiced by actor Brandon Soo Hoo.
- In Teen Titans: The Judas Contract, Beast Boy appeared in the animated film sequel where he was once again voiced by actor Brandon Soo Hoo.
- In Young Justice: Legacy, Beast Boy appeared in the video-game tie-in to the animated series where he was voiced by actor Jason Spisak.
- Doom Patrol v1:
- DC Comics Presents v1:
- New Teen Titans v1:
- Teen Titans:
- Titans Special v1: