Black Bolt is a male comic superhero who features in Marvel Comics.
Blackagar Boltagon was a male Inhuman who was the son Agon and Rynda as well as being the brother of Maximus with them being part of the Royal Family. (Thor v1 #148) Whilst in utero, experiments were conducted on the unborn Blackagar with these being done by his parents. (Secret Invasion: Inhumans v1 #3)
One day, his parents were examining him to see his abilities where he suffered a temper tantrum that led to him unleashing his force sonic scream. The strength of the vibration was so great that it devastated the laboratory and damaged a significant part of Attilan. In the aftermath, Agon searched for his son and found him safe as the infant had created by instinct a force bubble to shield him from falling debris. (Thor v1 #148)
As a result, he lived in virtual exile within his sound-proof chamber with this ending on his 19th birthday. It was expected that he had matured and learnt to control his power to prevent another catastrophic incident involving his sonic scream. The end of the exile saw him reintroduced to his cousins which was when his brother Maximus unleashed a nerve beam with the intention of forcing Black Bolt to scream out and devastate the city again. It was Maximus's goal to prove that Black Bolt was too dangerous to be set freed and thus remained confined for the rest of his life. This would have allowed Maximus to gain the Crown of Attilan and rule over the Inhumans. (Thor v1 #149)
During this time, the King of Attilan decided to remove the Slave Engine as he believed it to be too dangerous for use. This led to the young royals including Prince Black Bolt confronting the monarch for being unfit for the throne. This resulted in a royal challenge over succession and though his kin were defeated it was Black Bolt who managed to defeat the King. After taking the throne, King Black Bolt decided to banish the former ruler from the kingdom with his name being stricken from the records leading to him forever be known as the Unspoken. (Mighty Avengers v1 #27)
Though believed slain, he had actually survived and eventually regained consciousness where he killed the creatures attempting to devour him. It was then that Lockjaw arrived and teleported him to Hala where he was reunited with his kin. Though taking the throne, he decreed that the Inhumans had to respond to the summoning and depart back for Earth. He thus placed Ronan to be regent of the empire in his stead and killed dissenting ministers before their city departed Hala. Upon arriving at Earth’s Moon, he was greeted by Dal Damoc and introduced to his other wives that headed the Universal Inhumans. (FF v1 #7)
In the aftermath, the Terrigen Cloud spread around the world where it began activating the genes within the descendants of the Inhumans that had lived among humanity. Whilst this was happening, Black Bolt continued to battle with Thanos as the Mad Titan wanted to know the location of his Earth-born son. Despite his power, he was unable to stop the Titanian Eternal and was ultimately defeat with Blackagar being left in the ruins of his city. (Infinity v1 #4)
Personality and attributes
Prophecy came to refer to him as the Midnight King. (FF v1 #18)
From his childhood till his teenage years, he had to learn strict control over his voice to prevent him from speaking to prevent a sonic scream. (Thor v1 #149)
Blackagar's father was Agon who came to be the Chief Geneticist of Attilan. (Thor v1 #148) His mother Rynda's Inhuman gift was the ability to filter what entered into her body thus creating an immunity to poison which she learned to control. (Royals v1 #3) It was claimed that his parents only knew him to be a weapon. (Secret Invasion: Inhumans v1 #3)
Powers and abilities
He was noted for being both fast and strong. (Fantastic Four v1 #46) It was said that he had a lightning-swift protective instinct that allowed him to quickly recognise and defend against sudden threat. (Thor v1 #148)
The altering of his genetic pattern imparted on him the power to mentally affect electrons in the air around him. (Thor v1 #148) The antennae device on his head absorbed energy from electrons around him with these being converted into speed and strength. If the electrons were used up, Black Bolt weakened and he needed time in order to absorb more energy. (Fantastic Four v1 #46) Black Bolt’s powers to manipulate energy extended to the electrical impulses that flowed in a persons mind allowing him to calm a person. (Alpha Flight/Inhumans Annual v1 1998) He could generate force-blasts through the harnessing of the surrounding electrons. Even as a child, he had the power to mentally affect the electrons in the air and creating objects spontaneously from them though it was said that this ability would fade away by the time he reached adulthood. He was able to create an ultra-density protective force bubble to shield himself from harm. (Thor v1 #148)
His voice was able to reach some nameless distant sonic range which even as a baby was able to cause vocal vibrations that grew stronger until they created a catastrophic chain reaction. (Thor v1 #148)
Boltagon had the power of levitation that allowed him to soar through the air. (Thor v1 #148)
Among his most powerful techniques was the Master Blow whereby he struck with such a strike that it felt like being hit by the Hulk. (Fantastic Four v1 #46)
- Black Bolt was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby where he made his first appearance in Fantastic Four v1 #45 (December, 1965).
In other media
- In Ultimate Spider-Man, Black Bolt appeared in the animated television series starting in the episode "Inhumanity" where he was voiced by actor Fred Tatasciore.
- In Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Bolt guest starred in the animated television series in the episode "Crystal Blue Persuasion" where he was voiced by actor Trevor Devall.
- In Avengers Assemble, Black Bolt appeared in the animated television series in the Ultron Revolution season starting in the episode "Inhumans Among Us" where he was voiced by actor Fred Tatasciore.
- In Inhumans, Black Bolt appeared in the 2017 live-action television series where he was portrayed by actor Anson Mount.
- In Marvel: Avengers Alliance, Black Bolt appeared in the setting of the Facebook video game. He was the King of the Inhumans charged with the duty of protecting their city of Attilan from an uncertain future. His backstory mentioned his destructive abilities that allowed him to shatter whole planets with his voice and even a whisper was able to kill everyone around him thus forcing him to keep forever mute.
- In Marvel Future Fight, Black Bolt appeared as a playable character in the iOS video game. Among his equipment was his uniform that was called the Electron Harnessing Suit.
- In Marvel: Contest of Champions, Black Bolt appeared as a playable character in the iOS video game.
- In Marvel Heroes, Black Bolt was introduced as a playable character in the MMORPG video game.
- In Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order, Black Bolt appeared as an NPC in the video game where he was voiced by actor Liam O'Brien.
- Fantastic Four v1:
- Thor v1:
- Fantastic Four Unlimited v1:
- Mighty Avengers v1:
- FF v1:
- New Avengers v3:
- Infinity v1:
- Uncanny Inhumans v1:
- Black Bolt v1:
- Death of the Inhumans v1: