Eric O'Grady is a male comic character that features in Marvel Comics.
Eric was then approached by the Black Fox who offered him intelligence that criminal forces intended to steal a device from Hank Pym. With this information, O'Grady thought he could further ingratiate himself to the Avengers and approached Pym with this information. However, in reality, Black Fox had allowed O'Grady to be susceptible to possession by a Sleepwalker entity called Agent Anesthesia. Once at Pym's headquarters, Agent Anesthesia was able to release herself from O'Grady when he slept and stole the device which she gave to her A.I.M. employers. (Ant-Man & Wasp v1 #1) Atoning for his actions, Eric went alongside Hank Pym as the pair journeyed into the Mindscape as they tracked down the stolen device that was an artificial heaven that maintained the mind of the deceased Bill Foster. (Ant-Man & Wasp v1 #2)
He was approached by Steve Rogers to join his Secret Avengers strike force as a means of redeeming himself with Eric participating on their first assignment in infiltrating the Roxxon Energy Corporation. (Secret Avengers v1 #1)
In Bagalia, he was with Taskmaster when the pair discovered that Steve Rogers had secretly been a Hydra agent. (Captain America: Steve Rogers v1 #11) O'Grady and Taskmaster intended to sell this information to Maria Hill for large sums of money but were stopped by Madame Hydra Elisa Sinclair. (Captain America: Steve Rogers v1 #12)
Once the dome was down, he was discovered by Yellowjacket with the other villains at the scene intending to get their revenge on him for his part in their capture. However, Taskmaster arrived on the scene where he saved O'Grady with the two being reunited as criminal partners who left the scene before they could be arrested. (Amazing Spider-Man v5 #23)
Personality and attributes
He had said that he had grown up Irish Catholic and claimed that this allowed him to recognise guilt quickly. (Ant-Man & Wasp v1 #2)
Powers and abilities
As such, he was able to shrink and get real small but retained his human proportion strength. (Irredeemable Ant-Man v1 #1)
- Eric O'Grady was created by Robert Kirkman and Phil Hester where he made his first appearance in Irredeemable Ant-Man v1 #1 (December, 2006).
- In an interview on CBR, Rick Remender commented on his Secret Avengers arc:
- "In our first Descendants story, we set up this bubbling plot where Ant-Man, Eric O’Grady, was killed and replaced with a Life Model Decoy who basically has all of Eric’s memories. It’s almost like he died, everything went black and he woke back up with Father, the leader of the Descendants, standing over him. I don’t want to reveal too much of the deal they make and how this all works out, but Eric is still Eric. He’s a Life Model Decoy dealing with the fact that he’s an artificial person. He has his own his motivations for serving Father and the Descendants and that’s going to play a huge role coming up because the Secret Avengers now have a spy within their ranks."
- "Eric is a complex character. He was established to be a bad guy and sort of a dirt bag. Even when he attempted redemption, it always fell flat, like a selfish and slightly rotten person putting on a pose. This story is going to keep with that theme. It’s going to play into who the character has been as well as developing him into a new character known as the Black Ant, which Art Adams has designed and is amazing!"
In other media
- Irredeemable Ant-Man v1:
- Avengers: The Initiative v1:
- Ant-Man & Wasp v1:
- Secret Avengers v1:
- Amazing Spider-Man v5: