Moon Knight is a male comic superhero that features in Marvel Comics.
Marc Spector was the son of Rabbi Elias Spector and a woman who became Mrs. Spector. (Moon Knight v1 #37) He also had a brother who was given the name Randall Spector. (Hulk! v1 #17) The family lived in Europe where his Jewish father was a prodigy who quickly developed into a figure of reverence in the community as he knew the Talmud as well as the Bible by heart during his teenage years lead got him eventually becoming a Rabbi. By this time, Nazi Germany had turned their country of Czechoslovakia into a puppet state run by Adolf Hitler. The Spector family managed to leave by that point where they went to America and settled in the poor side of Chicago. When Marc was a child, it was noted that his mother had passed away whilst his father remained a key figure in the community. However, the poverty-stricken neighbourhoods were quick to find scapegoats for their problems leading to them targeting the Jewish neighbours and leading to Elias Spector being injured on numerous occasion. Marc could not understand his father during this time for not fighting back against his attackers. Around this time, Elias gained an appointment to the theological seminary on a meagre pay where he attempted to have Marc enrolled as a student. However, Marc refused leading to bitter arguments with his father as he instead wanted to devote his time to the gym and self-defense lessons where he began to box for money. One day, he went for a match with his father arriving into the ring attempting to stop his son leading to Marc punching him. Elias Spector was so angered at his son that he stated Marc would not have his blessing nor continue such a dirty and disreputable life in the house as he was kicked out of the home. The next day, Marc joined the U.S. Marines where he spent the next eight years fighting and honing his skills. (Moon Knight v1 #37)
Fist of Khonshu
Steve Rogers later approached Moon Knight about joining his covert Secret Avengers strike force where he was initially reluctant but was convinced to lend his aid with him being on their first mission in infiltrating the Roxxon Energy Corporation. (Secret Avengers v1 #1)
Marc Spector: Moon Knight
Vengeance of the Moon Knight
Afterwards, he used laundered money to help pay for his return to New York and bought new equipment to help him to operate in the city. At this point, he formed a new fourth identity known as Mister Knight with this persona working with NYPD Detective Flint on a number of different cases. At the same time, his Moon Knight identity continued to operate as a vigilante to help deal with criminals. Around this time, he was in contact with a psychologist about his Dissociative Identity Disorder where the expert said that his mind had been colonised by Khonshu with his brain taking on one of the fourth different aspects of the moon god leading to his brain attempting to make sense on what was happening to his life. (Moon Knight v7 #1)
Personality and attributes
This became known as Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). (Moon Knight v7 #1) These identities included:
- Marc Spector :
- Jake Lockley :
- Steven Grant :
- Mr. Knight : a new fourth persona that wore a white suit and mask where he operated publicaly with the police to prevent him from being arrested as a vigilante. (Moon Knight v7 #1)
A diagnosis given was that he was not insane but rather that his brain was colonised by an ancient consciousness from beyond space-time with this being Khonshu. According to Khonshu, Spector was seen as the Egyptian deities son and his chosen agent in the world. (Moon Knight v7 #1)
It was said that he wore such bright colours when fighting crime was because he wanted his enemies to see him and that because he was also crazy. (Moon Knight v7 #1)
During his time with Marlene Alraune, she became pregnant with his child but kept this knowledge a secret and she had his daughter who was named Diatrice. (Moon Knight v1 #190)
Powers and abilities
He once maintained an automated limousine that drove him to his locations and contained an on-board voice activated computer system allowing him to use it for crime fighting functions. (Moon Knight v7 #1)
- Moon Knight was created by Doug Moench and Don Perlin where he made his first appearance in Werewolf by Night v1 #32 (August, 1975).
In other media
- In Ultimate Spider-Man, Moon Knight appeared in the animated television series in the Ultimate Spider-Man vs. The Sinister 6 Christmas special episode "The Moon Knight Before Christmas" where he was voiced by actor Diedrich Bader.
- In Avengers Assemble, Moon Knight appeared in the animated television series where he was voiced by actor Gideon Emery.
- In Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, Moon Knight appeared in the video game where he was voiced by actor Robin Atkin Downes.
- In Marvel: Avengers Alliance, Moon Knight appeared as a playable character in the Facebook video game.
- In Marvel: Contest of Champions, Moon Night appeared as a playable character in the mobile video game.
- In Marvel Future Fight, Moon Knight appeared as a playable character in the mobile video game.
- In Marvel Heroes, Moon Knight appeared as a playable character in the MMORPG where he was once again voiced by actor Robin Atkin Downes.
- Werewolf by Night v1:
- Moon Knight v1:
- Secret Avengers v1:
- Moon Knight v7:
- Moon Knight v8:
- Moon Knight v1: