Kimiyo Hoshi is a female comic superhero who features in DC Comics.
Her father Professor Tazu was said to separated from his wife leaving their daughter Kimiyo scornful of him. (Crisis on Infinite Earths v1 #4)
She eventually came to be a prominent scientist in Japan and was in charge of an observatory watching the strange phenomena that was impacting the Earth as anti-matter waves were consuming reality. Among her team included Tazu that grew fearful of the coming dangers which like Kimiyo dismissing them as cowards. Thus, she decided to observe the phenomena herself but unknown to her she was being watched by the Monitor. He required a new warrior to aid him in his battle against the Anti-Monitor and sent a beam of light at Hoshi that seemingly killed her. However, it simply recreated her and gifting her superpowers where she took the name of Doctor Light and moved to stop the Crisis that was affected the Earth. (Crisis on Infinite Earths v1 #4)
In the aftermath, she lost her powers and thought they would return but came to accept the fact that her days as a superhero were over. She came to accept several corporate jobs but she ended up quitting them despite the fact that she moved her kids to her new places for the work. Eventually, she came to work at S.T.A.R. Labs where she admitted that parts of their research were of value but found their advances backwards as she struggled to adopt back to civilian life. One day, she came back to her home only to find the Shadow Cabinet waiting for her where the requested her aid. (Justice League of America v2 #27)
During the Blackest Night, she accompanied the League to the Hall of Justice where they were ambushed by the various undead that became part of the Black Lantern Corps. Kimiyo herself came upon Arthur Light who intended to feast on her emotions leading to a battle between the pair where he sought to break her mentally. Though badly hurt in the fight, she managed to unleash a final blast of light that destroyed the Black Lantern by severing the connection to the black ring. (Justice League of America v2 #40) In the aftermath, Hoshi was prepared to quit and instead devote her time to her family after nearly dying from the Black Lanterns. However, she was convinced by Donna Troy to join the new incarnation of the Justice League that was being assembled and Kimiyo decided to join as she resumed her superhero identity as Doctor Light. (Justice League of America v2 #41)
Personality and attributes
After being given powers by the Monitor, she took the name of Doctor Light. (Crisis on Infinite Earths v1 #4)
She came to hate her life after she lost her powers and dreamt of her time as being a superhero. (Justice League of America v2 #27)
Her father was Raiden Tazu who was born in 1935. (Showcase '96 v1 #9) By adulthood, she came to be very cold-hearted which surprised her father as he never raised her to have such an attitude. However, Kimiyo felt he was weak and that this was why her mother had left him. (Crisis on Infinite Earths v1 #4)
Powers and abilities
Originally, she had no powers but these were given to her by the Monitor who sent a beam of light energy to transform her into one of his champions. Upon being recreated, she gained the ability to manipulate light itself and achieve a variety of effects. (Crisis on Infinite Earths v1 #4)
- Kimiyo Hoshi was created by Marv Wolfman and George Pérez where she made her first appearance in Crisis on Infinite Earths v1 #4 (July, 1985).
In other media
- In Justice League Unlimited, the Kimiyo Hoshi Doctor Light appeared in the animated television series set in the DC Animated Universe where she was voiced by actor Lauren Tom.
- In The Flash, Kimiyo Hoshi does not appear in the live-action television series set in the Arrowverse but her identity of Doctor Light featured in season two. This version was the Earth-Two identity of Linda Park of that world who was a Metahuman that used her powers to commit robberies. She was sent to Earth-1 by Zoom as part of his plans to kill the Flash. The actual Kimiyo Hoshi appeared later in the series in the episode "Marathon" where she was portrayed by actor Emmie Nagata. She was a Metahuman with the ability to manipulate light who was abducted by Black Hole who turned her into an assassin that amplified her ability with McCulloch Technologies Photon Rifle. With it, she was sent on assignments to eliminate threats to the secret organization with her eventually being sent to assassinate Iris West-Allen.
- In Justice League Action, the Kimiyo Hoshi Doctor Light appeared in the animated television series but had no speaking lines.
- In Justice League: Gods and Monsters, an alternate reality version of Kimiyo Hoshi appeared in the animated film where she was voiced by actor Lauren Tom.
- In DC Universe Online, the Kimiyo Hoshi Dr. Light appeared in the setting of the MMORPG video game.
- Crisis on Infinite Earths v1:
- Showcase '96 v1:
- Justice League of America v2:
- Heroes in Crisis v1: