Outworld (Mortal Kombat)
Outworld is a dimension that featured in the Mortal Kombat series.
With the apparent death of Shao Khan, leadership of Outworld fell to Mileena who was seen as the heir to her father. However, in time, a challenger to her ruler came in the form of her General Kotal Kahn who came to lead a splinter faction that sought control of the realm. Thus, a civil war erupted between the two sides with Kahn gaining the advantage leading to himself taking the throne as Emperor.
Chaos erupted in Outworld as a result of the actions of Kronika who began to manipulate the timeline in an effort to restart history. This saw the resurrection of fallen figures by bringing their past incarnations into the present. Among those were Shao Kahn who allied himself with the Keeper of Time and bringing about a new civil war in Outworld between his forces and those of Kotal Kahn.
It was a large realm consisting of varying landscapes that included barren lands, purple wastelands, deserts pools of acid, dense forests and high mysterious mountain peaks.
A number of locations in Outworld included:
- Armory - a location where weapons were stockpiled for Outworlds armies.
- Dragon Mountain - location of a shrine with a temple dedicated to the Dragon King.
- Dragon King's Temple - the temple spouts fire at the enemies of Onaga.
- Falling Cliffs - an unstable volcanic region with constant tremors and earthquakes.
- Golden Desert - this desert has signs of statues and other items that suggested a city was present once in this area.
- Hell's Foundary - used to forge weapons and equipment for Outworld's armies.
- Kuatan Palace - an underground palace that was home to the Shokan race where lava flowed as rivers.
- Lei Chen - a small walled city who's leader resisted Shao Kahn's rule and was taken over by Seido.
- Living Forest - a dark forest who's trees were alive and hungered for life; swampy regions were home to large snakes and the warrior Reptile resided in his own temple.
- Lost Bridge - a place that was home to a constant battlefield that scarred the roads.
- Lost Hive - an underground hive of the Kytinn that was burnt down by Shao Kahn's forces.
- Lost Tomb - the location where the Dragon King's army resided.
- Lower Mines - located in the cliffs by the Golden Desert, it was here that precious resources were gathered to fuel Hell's Foundry.
- Lumbermill - various weapons and equipment were created in here for future use.
- Outworld Spire - this massive spire was located in Outworld which had numerous flights of stairs.
- Portal - a location where the Shadow Priests resided, it was here that deniziens were capable of moving about different locations of Outworld or go to other realms.
- Sea of Blood - this river was filled with blood of the dead who's souls were damned to attack travellers and drag them to their deaths.
- Shang Tsung's Palace - created by Shang Tsung's slaves and housed a Soulnado, it was destroyed in Raiden's attempt to kill the Dragon King.
- Shao Kahn's Arena - an arena where the Emperor of Outworld watched Kombatants fight one another in the Mortal Kombat Tournament.
- Shao Kahn's Fortress - this city housed the Emperor of Outworld and contains dungeons as well sa a map room where plans were made for the conquests of the realms. A collossus shaped as Shao Kahn protected one of the chambers.
- Soul Chamber - this was an unknown room in Shao Kahn's Fortress.
- Soul Tombs - this was a palace with numerous guards and demons resided which possessed trapped souls that were harvested by Shang Tsung to empower himself.
- Wastelands - this was a desolate region that was opposite the Sea of Blood.
There were a number of races that became incorporated into Outworld which included:
- Shokan : a two-legged race of half-human, half-dragon warriors shown to be tall and exceptionally strong who had four massive arms.
- Centaurian :
- Saurians :
- Kytinn :
- Tarkata : a humanoid beastial race noted for their savage sharp-toothed mouths and bone blades that emerged from their arms. It was said that they were bred from a race of Outworld and denizens of the Netherrealm.
- Osh-Tekk : It was said that it was Osh-Tekk custom to accept refugees that asked for protection.
- Naknada : a two-legged six-armed race that were treated badly by the rest of Outworlders inhabitants.
There were rumours of a forgotten symbiotic race that inhabited the lands of Outworld whereby smaller humanoids served as riders who bonded with a hulking humanoid mount. Under the reign of Shao Kahn, it was said that he kept the various races of Outworld divided and pitted against one another.
Leadership of the realm was held by a person holding the title of Kahnum of Outworld. Among its primary military forces were the armored warriors that made up the ranks of the Kahn Guard. During Shao Kahn's reign, he conquered other realms and made use of Extermination Squads with eliminating all those that opposed him.
Within the realm, the inhabitants made use of a flying winged boat-shaped craft known as the Dragonfly which was referred to be among the fastest means of transportations over the vast lands of Outworld.
- Onaga :
- Shao Kahn :
- Shang Tsung :
- Mileena :
- Reiko :
- Goro :
- Ermac :
- Skarlet :
- Baraka :
- Sheeva :
- Kotal Kahn :
- D'Vorah :
- Kollector :
- Ferra :
- Torr :
- Nitara :
- Bo' Rai Cho :
- Outworld featured in the setting of Mortal Kombat where it made its first appearance in Mortal Kombat II (1993).
In other media
- In Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm, Outworld appeared in the setting of the 1990s animated television series.
- In Mortal Kombat: Conquest, Outworld appeared in the setting of the live-action television series.
- In Mortal Kombat, Outworld was referenced and briefly seen in the 1995 live-action film. It was referred to as a forsaken land ruled by an immortal emperor who sought to conquer and enslave new realms. To occupy Earthrealm, the Mortal Kombat Tournament was created which was overseen by Outworld's demon sorcerer Shang Tsung who worked with the Shokan champion Goro to defeat the Earth warriors sent to fight him on an island on Earth. The final tournament decided the fate of Earthrealm which would have allowed Outworld to conquer Earth but Shang Tsung was defeated by Liu Kang. Despite the victory, the Emperor of Outworld began an invasion of Earthrealm in order to claim the souls of its inhabitants.
- In Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, Outworld appeared in the setting of the live-action film sequel. It was a realm ruled by Emperor Shao Kahn who through his scheming used the resurrected Queen Sindel to begin merging Outworld and Earthrealm in order to conquer the latter.
- Mortal Kombat II: (1993)
- Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance:
- Mortal Kombat: Deception:
- Mortal Kombat: Armageddon:
- Mortal Kombat 9:
- Mortal Kombat X: