Hi, I'm Armando Torre Puerto. I'm a Wikipedian that decided to create hiw own "wiki"-site after realizing wikipedia doesn't share my scope.
[www.pop-cult.org] focuses on all culture related issue. It's scope ranges from fashion, sports, TV, film, comics, literature and the main difference from wikipedia is that it can feature articles about clothing items, merchandise, episodes, fictional characters, internet pages, etc. I created the site a couple of years ago by reformatting some wikipedia articles as examples of what the site is about (a strategy used at first by Citizendium too). Then I moved on to create articles of my own. So far I've done around 1000, including stubs, lists, and the initial ones. Since it is my main interest in fiction, most of the original content is about the DC animated universe. Since I have work and college (I'm finishing my thesis), I haven't been able to grow the site faster. One of my main problems is that I ignore how to gain Internet popularity and editors. I've only had a couple of editors so far. Another problem is hosting and speed, since I want the project to be independent from wikimedia, I bought a server and stored it there, but it seems I sacrificed speed by doing so.
I have to admit, I was shocked to learn you made a similar site, but I was relieved when I figured your site rather focuses on in-universesand came to the conclusion that, now that we've made contact, we could start a cooperative synergy to grow together. After all, according to Google AdSense, linking is the main tool we have to increase popularity. Any thoughts?
Thanks for your time. Best regards.
--Pop-Cult-Guy 19:58, 10 October 2008 (CDT)
Ps: Since Jeb seems to be inactive, I'm placing a copy at the user talk page of both bureaucrats.
Hello, there appear to be several people or bots or whatever adding links to irrelevant things to certain pages such as the Characters category or the FAQ page or Bane etc. I was wondering, can they be banned? I've been removing the content but they keep coming back. Says you are an administrator on the administrator page so thought I should let you know.
- Wow, the spam really got out of control in my absence... thanks for warning me, and I apologize for taking so long to do something about it. I'll try to keep an eye on this place more, even if other projects are consuming my time... Jeb 20:21, 17 November 2008 (CST)
- No problem :) I should say sorry also, not been on for a few days myself. -- Darth Batrus 17:57, 19 November 2008 (CST)
Logo of Omnipedia
I don't know if this is the case with everyone or just me, but the logo of Multiversal Omnipedia is kind of moved and blocks certain of the buttons on the top of the screen. Is there anything I can do to fix that? :) Darth Batrus 17:23, 06 July 2009 (CST)
- Alright, thanks for the reply. For a moment I was worried something went wrong. :) Darth Batrus 19:05, 11 July 2009 (CST)
Reply to Thanks
No problem, I really like this place and hope to continue contributing. Right now, I have really gotten into the Green Lantern comics at the moment so will be focusing on finishing those but ultimately my goal is to finish all the articles I have been contributing. Its such a huge task so I try and do bits and pieces. :) -- Darth Batrus 17:59, 22 August 2009
Hiya Jeb, just wanted to say thanks for the message and good to see the Omnipedia back. I missed it when it was gone. Good to be back adding articles and stuff. Anyway, take care! -- Darth Batrus 17:17, 18 March 2012
Hiya Jeb, hope you are well and doing good. Just wanted to let you know, I have recently been having a problem in the creation of new articles. I can't seem to do a search and get a database error that reads
- A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:
(SQL query hidden)
- from within function "SearchMySQL::searchInternal". Database returned error "145: Table './chronito_moa/moa_searchindex' is marked as crashed and should be repaired (localhost)".
Also, some articles I try to create read as being an "403.shtml". I thought I would bring this to your attention. Anyway, take care :) -- Darth Batrus 14:22, 30 April 2012
- Hey Jeb, no worries about the reply. I've been managing making new pages though its a bit more complicated. Seems I can only do so when I make a redlink and use the link to create an article. Looks like it works on some though not all. At the moment, I've been using my own page to create redlinks and make the articles. Otherwise, I seem to be still getting the same problems namely I can't use the search engine properly unless I know the exact name the page has on the Omnipedia e.g. I get the database error if I type "Taelons" in a search but manage to get to the article if I type "Taelon". Does it happen to you when you are trying it? Just wondering if its just me or something else. The only other development is people registering and adding a lot of spam to their personal pages which I deleted and banned the respective individuals. Hope I've been doing that right. Anyway, take care! -- Darth Batrus 16:46, 28 May 2012
- Thanks Jeb! Appreciate it and seems to be working fine now. Will let you know though if I encounter any problems. -- Darth Batrus 16:13, 14 July 2012
Banning Potential Spammers
Roger that, I actually thought pretty much all of the recent ones were spammers but didn't want to do a pre-emptive banning without them committing their spams first. The activities seem to vary though... sometimes the Omnipedia gets a nice period where no spammer registers and then we get ones like the recent incident where we see a bulk registration of gibberish usernames that look like spammers. Will hold off on banning though until I catch them in the act though :) -- Darth Batrus 10:55, 21 December 2012
Hi Jeb, hope you are well. I'm getting a strange compilation error that takes up much of the screen and prevents contributions. It read as "Warning: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace]: Compilation failed: group name must start with a non-digit at offset 4. Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/chronito/public_html/moa2/includes/MagicWord.php". Only found out now I can do some edits but its kind of hard. Just wanted to let you know and check if its a genuine error or if this is a problem from my side. If you need anything, let me know. -- Darth Batrus 18:05, 05 December 2014
- Thanks Jeb! You are the best! Also, Happy New Year to you and hope you had a splendid 2014 :) Darth Batrus