- Real World: January 17. U.S. Congress votes in favor of granting independence to the Philippines, despite opposition from President Herbert Hoover.
- Real World: February 10. The first singing telegrams are introduced by the Postal Telegraph Company in the United States.
- Real World: February 15. U.S. President-elect Franklin D. Roosevelt dodges an assassination attempt by Giuseppe Zangara in Miami, Florida, but Mayor Anton Cermak of Chicago is shot instead.
- GURPS Infinite Worlds: February 15. The history of Reich-5 diverges from Homeline's history when Zangara succeeds in assassinating Roosevelt. (GURPS Infinite Worlds)
- Real World: March 4. In Franklin Roosevelt's inaugural address, he notes that "We have nothing to fear, but fear itself." The Austrian parliament is suspended over a minor dispute, allowing Chancellor Engelbert Dollfuss to take authoritarian rule.
- Real World: March 5. U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt initiates his efforts to battle the Great Depression by declaring a "Bank Holiday," suspending all banks' activities until March 13.
- Real World: March 23. Adolf Hitler becomes dictator of Germany with the Enabling Act passed by the Reichstag.
- Real World: April 1. The Nazis initiate their oppression of Jews by organizing a one-day boycott of Jewish businesses.
- Real World: May. Karl Jansky reports the detection of radio waves emanating from the center of the Milky Way galaxy.
- Real World: November 11. A particularly strong dust storm- latest in a series beginning around 1930- strips topsoil from farmlands in South Dakota.
- Real World: The chocolate chip cookie is invented.
New Fictional Works
The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett.
Alice in Wonderland, Deluge, Gabriel Over the White House, The Ghoul, The Invisible Man, Island of Lost Souls, King Kong, Mystery of the Wax Museum, Mystery Squadron (serial), The Perils of Pauline (serial), Son of Kong, The Sphinx, A Study in Scarlet, Supernatural, Tarzan the Fearless, Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse (The Testament of Dr. Mabuse), The Three Musketeers (serial), The Vampire Bat, Warning Shadows (serial).
Notable Radio Programs
First broadcast of The Lone Ranger.
|<< Back to 1932||^Up to 1930s^||Forward to 1934 >>|