- Real World: January 24. A B-52 bomber crashes near Goldsboro, North Carolina. The crash has no significant effect on the two nuclear bombs aboard.
- Men in Black (Films), Men in Black (Series): March 2. The Men in Black are created as a result of the contact in the mid-1950s with extraterrestrial refugees (the Baltians). (Men in Black, "The Head Case Syndrome" (Men in Black: The Series))
- Real World: April 12. Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, aboard Vostok 1, becomes the first human in space.
- Real World: May 19. Soviet probe Venera 1 becomes the first manmade object to pass by another planet (Venus).
- Real World: May 25. U.S. President Kennedy announces his intention to put a man on the Moon before the end of the decade.
- Real World: October 30. The Soviet Union test-detonates a 58-megaton hydrogen bomb (the largest ever detonated).
- Real World: December 11. The Vietnam War officially begins (for America) as the first U.S. personnel land in Saigon.
- View Askewniverse: The mysterious X begins his Black Ops dealings with the very illegal, but very erotic, connection between the CIA and donkey shows. (Clerks: The Animated Series - Episode IV)
- Real World: The first quasar is discovered.
- Transformers (Films): Sentinel Prime's Ark and the Longshot emerge from the space bridge in the vicinity of Earth. The Ark violently crash-lands on Earth's Moon, killing all on board save for Sentinel, who is safely sealed in the ship's crash vault. After examining the wreckage, Soundwave determines to keep the vessel out of the hands of the humans on the planet below, beginning with the removal of the space bridge pillars. (Transformers: Convergence part 1; Transformers: Dark of the Moon)
New Fictional Works
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl, Thunderball by Ian Fleming, The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison, Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein, The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.
The Absent-Minded Professor, Babes in Toyland, Baron Munchausen, Black Sunday, The Brainiac, The Curse of the Crying Woman, The Curse of the Werewolf, The Devil's Messenger, Gorgo, Hercules in the Haunted World, The Innocents, Macbeth (TV movie), The Mask, Master of the World, Mysterious Island, The Pit and the Pendulum, Scream of Fear, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
Notable Comic Books
Notable Television Series
- Beginning: The Avengers, The Dick Tracy Show, Supercar.
- Continuing: One Step Beyond (Season 3), The Twilight Zone (Season 3).
|<< Back to 1960||^Up to 1960s^||Forward to 1962 >>|