- Real World: January 23. Jacques Piccard and Donald Walsh, inside the bathyscaphe Trieste, set a depth record when they reach the bottom of Challenger Deep in the Marianas Trench (over 35,800 feet below the surface).
- Real World: February 1. In Greensboro, North Carolina, four African-American students stage a peaceful protest by sitting at a segregated lunch counter at a local Woolworth's.
- Real World: March 6. The U.S. announces they will send 3500 troops to Vietnam. In Switzerland, women gain the right to vote.
- Real World: March 21. Afrikaner police forces in Sharpeville, South Africa, fire on a group of unarmed black South African demonstrators. 69 die, and 180 are wounded.
- Real World: May 9. In the U.S., the Food and Drug Administration approves sale of the birth control pill.
New Fictional Works
13 Ghosts, The Amazing Transparent Man, Atom Age Vampire, Blood and Roses, Brides of Dracula, Dinosaurus!, Eyes Without a Face, The Fall of the House of Usher, Goliath and the Barbarians, Goliath and the Dragon, Hercules Unchained, Horror Hotel, Kidnapped, Konga, The Little Shop of Horrors, The Magnificent Seven, Mill of the Stone Women, Samson, Spartacus, The Story of Ruth, The Swiss Family Robinson, The Thousand Eyes of Dr. Mabuse, The Three Worlds of Gulliver, The Time Machine, Village of the Damned, The Wasp Woman, The Witch's Mirror, World of the Vampires.
Notable Comic Books
The Brave and the Bold #28 (first Justice League of America).
Notable Television Series
- Beginning: Q.T. Hush.
- Continuing: One Step Beyond (Season 2), The Twilight Zone (Season 2).
- Ending: Men Into Space.
|<< Back to 1959||^Up to 1960s^||Forward to 1961 >>|