Blue Area of the Moon
The Blue Area of the Moon is a place that features in Marvel Comics.
The Blue Area of the Moon was a region located on Earth's Moon.
Around a million years ago, the region was created by the Skrulls as a testing ground to determine who would be worthy to receive their knowledge. They created an artificial atmosphere and Emperor Dorrek decided to determine who could make the greatest achievement from the inhabitants of the planet Hala. Thus, he brought the humanoid Kree and the plant-based Cotati each of which were tasked with making a great work to impress the Skrulls. The Kree used their engineering talent to build a city whilst the Cotati nourished plants that grew over the desolate landscape. Upon seeing the Cotati's efforts, the Kree determined that they would lose the competition and thus massacred the Cotati. When the Skrull's returned to seek the outcome, the Kree proceeded with killing them as well and taking their vessels which they used to return to Hala after which they pilfered it of technology that became the basis of the Kree Empire. (Avengers v1 #133)
Sometime ago, the Leader conducted a telescopic study of the Moon where he came upon the mysterious Blue Area which took his interest. He sent a probe to the area where he discovered the existence of Uatu and secretly watched his activities. The Leader determined him to be from a race of advanced beings and thus sought out his homeworld in order to take its knowledge for himself. (Tales to Astonish v1 #73)
The Universal City of the Universal Inhumans came to land in the Blue Area of the Moon as the prophecy regarding the reunion of the various tribes of Inhumans came to pass. (Fantastic Four v1 #577)
- Uatu :
- The Blue Area of the Moon was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby where it made its first appearance in Fantastic Four v1 #13 (April, 1963).
In other media
- In X-Men, the Blue area appeared though was not named in the 1990s animated television series as part of the adaptation of the Dark Phoenix Saga.
- In Avengers Assemble, the Blue Area makes an appearance in the episode "Hulk's Day Out". It was mentioned as being an area on the lunar surface that contained its own atmosphere due to the presence of the Watcher with this being recorded in the files held by the Avengers. Hulk and Thor engaged in another battle of strength at Avengers Tower leading to Iron Man suggesting they take their fight to the moon. The pair complied and were ready to continue their battle when they were attacked by a Badoon Cylek that the pair of superheroes could not overpower. With their communicators damaged, Hulk suggested that Thor knock him from the Moon to the Earth so he could summon the rest of the Avengers. However, the process gave Hulk temporary amnesia leading to the Avengers retracing his steps until he regained his memory. At that point, the massive infestation of the Cylek destabilized the Moon threatening to cause it to explode which led to gravitational effects damaging the Earth by causing massive natural disasters until the monster was defeated. In "Thanos Rising", the Blue Area was said to be the only area with a breathable atmosphere and the site of Uatu the Watchers outpost when Thanos attacked it. The Avengers would later arrive at the site in order to defeat Mad Titan before he could destroy Earth.
- In X-Men: Reign of Apocalypse, the Blue Area of the Moon appeared as the final stage in the video game.
- In Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, the Blue Area briefly appeared in the setting of the video game.
- Fantastic Four v1:
- FF v2:
- Original Sin v1: