Lara is a female comic character that features in DC Comics.
The Guardians of the Universe believed that Lara or her husband would have made an excellent Green Lantern. However, the Oans believed that their child would have been a suitable leader for the Green Lantern Corps. (Superman v1 #257)
The New 52
Following the Flashpoint, a new version of history was created with a different series of events. Lara was the daughter of the Mother Prime Dame Kela-Van and had a sister named Mara-Van. (Batman/Superman v1 #19) Her father was Lor-Van who was a scientific benefactor who came to fund the research of Jor-El. Upon learning of Krypton's impending destruction, Lor-Van had sought for Jor-El to halt the destruction of their world and was opposed to an evacuation thus he had all data on Project Stardrive erased. (Action Comics v1 #988)
During Brainiac's attack on Krypton, her Mother Prime and sister were both in Kandor when it was abducted by the extraterrestrial villain. (Batman/Superman v1 #20)
Personality and attributes
Powers and abilities
- Lara was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster where she made her first appearance in the Superman comic strip (1939).
- In Superboy v1 #62 (1958), it was shown that she had written a hand written note in Kryptonese asking anyone that found it to care for her son. The note later came in the hands of a baby girl discovered on a boat at sea by Captain John Alpert. After he died from disease, he told his adoptive daughter Gloria Alpert who took it to Superboy who mistakenly believed that she was his sister.
- In Superman Family v1 #192, a computer simulation indicated a possible life where Krypton exploded early. This version of events saw Lara's father Lor-Van and his friend Jor-El I discovering the impending destruction of Krypton. They decided to create a ship to shelter their respective children away and found an abandoned Krull vessel left on Krypton long ago. Though Kryptonian authorities opposed them, the two parents placed their respective children in the craft that was sent to Earth with Lara and Jor-El being raised by human parents. Lara was adopted by Henry Clark and his wife Ella Clark with the child becoming the younger adoptive sister of Martha Clark.
In other media
- In Superman: The Animated Series, Lara made her first appearance in the DC Animated Universe in the episode "Last Son of Krypton" where she was voiced by actor Finola Hughes. She was the daughter of Sul-Van who married the brilliant scientist Jor-El with the pair having a son named Kal-El together on Krypton.
- In All-Star Superman, Lara appeared in a non-voiced role in the 2011 direct-to-video animated film where she was shown in flashbacks and as a statue.
- In Man of Steel, Lara appeared in the live-action film set in the DC Extended Universe where she was portrayed by actor Ayelet Zurer.
- In Justice League: Gods and Monsters, an alternate reality version of Lara briefly appeared in the animated film where she was voiced by actor Lauren Tom.
- In Injustice 2, Lara made a brief appearance in the fighting video game's story mode.
- In The Last Days of Krypton, Lara appeared in the novel where she was said to be the daughter of Lor-Van and his wife Ora with her having a younger brother named Ki-Van