Silver Surfer is a male comic superhero that features in Marvel Comics.
Norrin Radd of the planet Zenn-La was a scientist who led a happy life with his love Shalla-Bal. In desperation, he sought to confront the traveller where he was shocked to find out that it was the legendary World Devourer known as Galactus. He begged the planet eater to spare Zenn-La and whilst Galactus was willing to do so he was in the grips of his hunger and could not expend energy in finding another world. It was then that the Radd offered to become his Herald and would probe through space to find him suitable worlds. Galactus came to agree to these terms and used the Power Cosmic to transform Radd into the Silver Surfer. After his transformation, he bid farewell to his love Shalla-Bal and departed his homeworld in search for new planets for his master Galactus. (Silver Surfer v1 #1)
Over time, Galactus erased his memories of Zenn-La to make him a more effective herald, less bound by moral compunctions involving his chosen world's natives. The Surfer eventually guided his master to Earth, where he met unusual resistance from the Fantastic Four (secretly aided by that planet's Watcher). His true self reawakened by Alicia Masters, the Silver Surfer opposed his master's efforts to drain Earth. Between that and the Human Torch's acquisition of the Ultimate Nullifier, Galactus relented and left, but not before creating a barrier to imprison the Surfer on Earth.
Norrin had numerous adventures on Earth, including having his powers stolen by Doctor Doom, battling the demon Mephisto (who coveted his pure soul), and working with the Defenders. After several abortive attempts, the Surfer eventually escaped Earth with the aid of Mister Fantastic. With the help of Mantis, the Surfer stopped the Elders of the Universe from destroying Galactus, earning his former master's gratitude and his official freedom.
Whilst journeying through space, the Surfer found a portal in space which called to him. Normally, ships were incapable of escaping its pull with him having the power to easily evade it but something called to him from the other side. Thus, he went through the portal but was badly weakened and he crashed on Sakaar. Once there, the inhabitants placed an obedience disk on him thus forcing him to obey the Sakaarans as he was put to work as a gladiator in the arena. During this time, he came to be known as the Silver Savage who was a powerful warrior. (Incredible Hulk v2 #95)
Despite his pleas, Galactus refused as he did not wish to go back to being the World Devourer. However, Norrin managed to convince him of the danger posed by Ultron with Galactus agreeing but stated that this would turn him back to his old state and thus the Silver Surfer would need to be his Herald once more to find planets to sate his hunger. The Surfer agreed and together they returned to the planet where he helped Adam Warlock defeat Ultron whilst Galactus destroyed the world. Afterwards, Galactus returned to being the World Devourer and the Silver Surfer returned to being the Herald of Galactus. (Infinity Countdown v1 #4)
He was then tasked by Galactus to investigate the destruction of a number of worlds due to the actions of the cosmic god known as the Conductor. (Silver Surfer: The Best Defense v1 #1)
Personality and attributes
Whilst on Sakaar, he came to be known as the Silver Savage. (Incredible Hulk v2 #95)
Powers and abilities
The Silver Surfer has incredible abilities derived from the Power Cosmic, enabling him to survive in nearly any environment, absorb, generate and manipulate a wide spectrum of energies, heal and reshape matter, exercise superhuman strength, and more.
Upon his transformation, Norrin Radd's body was completely encased in a life-preserving silvery substance of Galactus's own design. This would shield him from heat and cold with him having no need for oxygen. This allowed him to survive the frigid emptiness of space and the blazing inferno of suns without any harm to his person. (Silver Surfer v1 #1)
He claimed that as among the oldest of the Heralds he had wielded the Power Cosmic the longest making him adept in its use. (Galactus the Devourer v1 #2)
With the power, he could compress his body thus shrinking it to the point that he could enter the Microverse. (Galactus the Devourer v1 #2)
From Galactus, he was provided an indestructible flying board that the Silver Surfer could control with a single thought and allowed him to travel across the endless cosmos. (Silver Surfer v1 #1) His surfboard, directed by his mental commands, can take him to faster-than-light speeds to nearly anywhere in the galaxy.
- Silver Surfer was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby where he made his first appearance in Fantastic Four v1 #48 (March, 1966).
- In Silver Surfer Annual v1 #4 (1991), an alternate reality version of the character now known as the Keeper appeared in the universe designated as Earth-691. Years in a different future, he participated in the defence of Earth during the War of the Worlds against the Martians. He was then convinced by Eon that Earth was destined to fall causing him to leave the conflict leading to its conquest by the invaders. Experiencing guilt, he wandered space for centuries and had reused Eon’s offer to become his champion. After sometime, he came to accept the offer leading to him being awarded the Quantum Bands that bolstered his powers as he assumed the position of Protector of the Universe.
- In Marvel Adventures: Fantastic Four v1 #48 (2009), an alternate reality version of the Silver Surfer was shown to had existed in the universe designated as Earth-TRN430. By the End of Time, Norrin Radd's power was usurped by a four armed insectoid alien that became the new Silver Surfer. He joined the forces of the Black End that sought to eliminate all life at the end of the universe and attempted to stop Galactus from escaping into the universe that would follow the current one. He was defeated by the Fantastic Four who were brought forward to this future and they were empowered by Galactus's Zero device allowing them to defeat the Black End.
- In Thanos v2 (2017), an alternate future was shown where Thanos succeeded in wiping out all life in the galaxy with him taking the name King Thanos. This version began a campaign to kill all life and take over the universe with the Silver Surfer working alongside Galactus to stop him. The pair were separated with Galactus being slain by the Mad Titan and the surviving Silver Surfer attempting to find a means of killing Thanos. He became known as the Fallen One as he gathered Annihilus's horde under his command and made himself worthy of Mjolnir to give him the power to slay the Mad King Thanos. Despite his power and him wielding Mjolnir he was unable to defeat King Thanos who was aided by his younger self with the two Titans murdering the Silver Surfer.
In other media
- In Silver Surfer, the character starred in the 1990s Fox solo animated series where he was voiced by actor Paul Essiembre.
- In Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., the Silver Surfer appeared in the animated television series in the episode "Fear Itself" where he was voiced by actor Brent Spiner.
- In Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, the Silver Surfer made an appearance in the live-action film where he was voiced by actor Laurence Fishburne.
- In Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, the Silver Surfer was a bonus playable character in the setting of the video game where he was voiced by actor Chris Cox.
- In Marvel Heroes, the Silver Surfer made an appearance as a playable character in the MMORPG video game where he was voiced by actor James Arnold Taylor.
- Fantastic Four v1:
- Silver Surfer v1:
- Galactus the Devourer v1:
- Annihilation v1:
- Incredible Hulk v2:
- Ultimates 2:
- Infinity Countdown v1:
- Silver Surfer: The Best Defense v1:
- Guardians of the Galaxy: