The Sith are an organization that features in Star Wars.
Unknown to anyone, Palpatine had survived the destruction of the second Death Star and fled to the hidden Sith world of Exegol. On that shrouded world, he along with his cultists operated in secret as they built up their powerbase.
In appearance, the Sith were an organization of Force-sensitives who based their teachings around harnessing the power of the Dark Side of the Force.
After nearly destroying themselves, the Sith were re-organised from a large organization to one that only consisted of two members with this being a master and their apprentice as part of the Rule of Two. It was expected that the apprentice was to eventually slay their master and take their place whereupon they took on their own apprentice.
A particular relic of the Sith were pyramid-shaped devices were Wayfinders. These machines provided the coordinates to secret hidden worlds of the Sith. Wayfinders were linked to a ships navigation system and allowed the vessel to travel to the target planet.
The language of the Sith was noted to be rune-based but knowledge of it was rare with even droids banned from being able to translate it.
- Darth Bane :
- Darth Plagueis : the Wise was a Sith Lord that was the mentor to Darth Sidious until he was killed by his apprentice.
- Darth Sidious :
- Darth Maul :
- Darth Tyrannus : a male human called Count Dooku from Serreno who was formerly a member of the Jedi Order but became disillusioned with the Jedi and instead joined the Sith as the apprentice of Darth Sidious.
- Darth Vader : a male human called Anakin Skywalker from Tatooine who was recruited into the Jedi Order by Quin-Gon Jinn but he was corrupted by Darth Sidious where he became Darth Vader.
- The Sith were created by George Lucas and made their first appearance in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope.
- The word 'Sith' was not used in the original trilogy with the term first being mentioned in the 1976 novelization of Star Wars which referred to Darth Vader as the 'Dark Lord of the Sith'.
- In Star Wars Legends, the Sith were originally shown as being a red-skinned humanoid species of Dark Side users that were native to the planet Korriban who ruled their own Sith Empire. They resided in their own isolated region of space until they learnt of the Galactic Republic and attempted an invasion that was defeated. Afterwards, their teachings became the basis of the Sith Order that over the years had risen numerous times to challenge the Jedi only to be defeated. After the Battle of Ruusan, the Sith Order was nearly destroyed leaving only Darth Bane who re-organised them and instituted the Rule of Two where there was a master and an apprentice. Since then, the Sith operated in secret with their order having been considered long extinct though in reality they operated from the shadows to bring about the destruction of the Jedi. Their plans came to fruition under Darth Sidious who organised the rise of the Galactic Empire that began a purge of the Jedi. The Sith rule ultimately fell when his apprentice Darth Vader killed him and died as well thus seemingly bringing about the destruction of their order. This was until Jacen Solo's fall to the Dark Side where he took the name of Darth Caedus and was killed in the Second Galactic Civil War. Years afterwards, it was revealed that the Sith had been re-formed in secret by Darth Krayt who removed the Rule of Two thus recruiting an entire army of Sith to serve him that attempted to conquer the galaxy.
In other media
- In Star Wars: The Old Republic, the Sith featured in the setting of the MMORPG video game. The Sith Empire was based on the teachings of the Sith and had been founded by the Sith Emperor.
- Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope:
- Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back:
- Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi:
- Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace:
- Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones:
- Star Wars: Clone Wars:
- Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith:
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars:
- Star Wars: Rebels:
- Rogue One:
- Solo: A Star Wars Story:
- Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker: