Uru is a metal that features in Marvel Comics.
Some claimed that Uru was a vestige of the earliest of days and were parts of the rock of creation itself. (Mighty Thor v2 #12)
Eons ago, the sentient superstorm known as the God Tempest was defeated by All-Father Odin who trapped it within Uru where he had the dwarves fashion the metal into the hammer Mjolnir. (Mighty Thor v2 #12)
At some point, a Rock Troll named Uroc who was a valued and respected weaponsmith was called upon by his monarch Grundor. He was tasked with creating the ultimate weapon and thus Uroc scoured the underworld until he chanced upon a vast untapped deposit of Uru metal. Upon encountering it, he was driven by unholy desires and fashioned a powerful monstrous form where he used forbidden sorceries to transfer his consciousness into it. As a result, his mind animated his new body of Uru where he became known as Uroc the Invincible with him turning against Grundor as well as his kingdom of Trolls. This caused him to seek the aid of the Asgardian Thor who helped send Uroc falling into a bottomless chasm after being unable to break his Uru covered skin. (Thor v1 #409)
Bruce Banner came to use a sample of Uru that Thor had donated to S.H.I.E.L.D. long ago where he and his research team used it to create a portal into the Asgardian realms. Dr. Banner and his team used it to journey to Jotunheim in order to find the mythical Eiderdurm in order to use it as a superconductor to make leaps in human technology. Unknown to them at the time, the portal actually sent them into the past where they encountered Thor before he was banished to Earth and they were targeted by the Jotuns who sought to kill any intruders into their domain. (Indestructible Hulk v1 #6)
From Black Uru, an arm was forged for Thor Odinson who had lost his left arm due to the machinations of Malekith with the Dwarves forging him a replacement. (Thor v4 #5)
As a result of Malekith's invasion of the Nine Realms, the Dwarves of Nidavellir made a hidden outpost in Midgard at Iceland. The outpost contained a vault filled with precious Uru metal that was to be safeguarded. However, Amora the Enchantress bewitched Amadeus Cho who was the Hulk into attacking the outpost and stealing the Uru. Amora along with the Dark Elves were forging the stolen Uru into weapons until Jane Foster as Thor along with Amadeus Cho as Hulk arrived to defeat them. Afterwards, the Dwarves arrived on the scene in order to reclaim the Uru. (Totally Awesome Hulk v1 #6)
It was referred to as a magical metal that was used by the Asgardians. (Journey into Mystery v1 #349)
Under the right conditions and with centrifugal forces, Uru was able to create dimensional portals. (Indestructible Hulk v1 #6)
One version of the metal was known as Black Uru. (Thor v4 #5)
- Uru was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby where it made its first appearance in Journey into Mystery v1
In other media
- In The Marvel Super Heroes, Uru was mentioned in the Thor segment of the animated episodes. The episode "The Trap of Loki" stated that Thor's magical hammer was constructed of Uru.
- In Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Thor's enhanced hammer was made from this substance by the race of Dwarves and Tony Stark when trapped in their world used the substance to craft himself an magical armor made of Uru.
- In Marvel Heroes, Uru was present in the MMORPG video game where players could get a number of items that were forged from the metal.
- In Marvel: Future Fight, Uru appeared as a crafting material in the setting of the mobile video game.
- Journey into Mystery v1:
- New Mutants v1:
- Thor v4:
- Indestructible Hulk v1:
- Totally Awesome Hulk v1: