Warlock (New Mutants)
Warlock is a male alien character that features in Marvel Comics.
Warlock was a member of the techno-organic race known as the Technarchy from the planet Kvch and was the offspring of the Magus. On his world, their kind were lifeforms that evolved into a synthesis of 'man' and machine with creche mass producing Technarchs on a biological assembly line. Upon his emergence, Warlock was expected to undergo the tried rite of passage of his people which was to face their parent in single combat to the death. Rather than fight the Magus, Warlock decided to flee and escaped into deep space with his father in pursuit of him. (New Mutants v1 #21)
Personality and attributes
Powers and abilities
The techno-organic nature of his form meant that Warlock was capable of altering his shape into a variety of forms. (New Mutants v1 #21)
Through touch, he could infect beings with a genetic virus and thus fundamentally alter their genetic structure whilst transforming it into a techno-organic construct such as himself. From that point, the infected became as much technology as organic which allowed Warlock to drain it of its 'lifeglow' as a source of nourishment. Once drained, any infected being became inert with Warlock able to conduct this process on demons even. (New Mutants v1 #21)
- Warlock was created by Chris Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz where he made his first appearance in New Mutants v1 #18 (August 1984).
- In New Mutants v3 #45 (2012), an alternate future set 10 years ahead saw Doug Ramsey become evil. This timeline saw him adapting the Warlock Technology to create Techno-Organic harnesses known as Lockware.
- In X-Tinction Agenda v1 (2015), a version of Warlock was shown to had survived in a realm on Battleworld. The events followed that of the X-Tinction Agenda whereby Warlock was killed with his remains secretly studied by Genengineer Kludge at Genosha. He designed a virus seeking to eliminate Mutants and the study of Warlock's Transmode virus allowed him to isolate it whereupon he used it to resurrect the slain Cameron Hodge who was given a techno-organic body. After Hodge's second death, it was shown that the experiments of Kludge had led to the deceased Warlock to be reborn again.
In other media
- In X-Men: The Animated Series, the character made an appearance in the two part episode "Phalanx Covenant" where he was voiced by David Corban. This continuity saw him as being a member of the Techno-Organic Phalanx whose children were destined to merge with the hive mind. However, Warlock refused and he along with his life-mate escaped but crashed on Earth. They survived crash but his life-mate was captured by Cameron Hodge who studied her leading to the Phalanx being created on Earth. Warlock later sought the aid of Beast and prevented his assimilation as the Phalanx spread around the world. With a few uninfected survivors, they managed to create a cure that Warlock delivered to the Phalanx core. This destroyed the Phalanx infection and returned life-mate to normal. Warlock later departed Earth with his life-mate as they returned to their homeworld to influence their people to become better.
- In Marvel: Contest of Champions, Warlock was introduced as a playable character in the mobile video game.
- New Mutants:
- New Mutants v3:
- All-New X-Factor v1: