Exedore is a male extraterrestrial character that features in Robotech.
Exedore was a male Zentraedi who serves as adviser to Fleet Commander Breetai during their search for Robotech Master Zor's missing battlefortress (later known as the SDF-1). Although still a giant by Micronian standards, he is almost a dwarf when compared to even the average Zentraedi. Exedore is the keeper of Zentraedi law, lore and history as given to him by the Robotech Masters. It is he that reminds Breetai that one of their directives is to stay away from Micronian civilizations for fear of cultural contamination. Nonetheless, because the Earth humans have come in possession of SDF-1, Exedore has the hapless job of trying to outthink them which proves a difficult task considering the Terrans' inexperience in space warfare makes them nearly unpredictable.
Because of the constant battles with the Earth humans, numerous Zentraedi become enthralled by the culture of the Micronians and their lifestyle. To avoid widespread cultural contamination, Supreme Zentraedi commander Dolza orders the extermination of Breetai and Azonia's fleets. Anticipating this, Exedore has himself micronized and travels to SDF-1 as an emissary and proposes an alliance with Earth. His proposal is well received and Breetai and Azonia's fleets offer well needed assistance in Earth's defense against Dolza's armada.
Exedore continued to serve as an advisor to the Robotech Defense Force in the reconstruction years following the successful defeat of Dolza's armada. He accompanied Rick Hunter, Lisa Hayes, Dr. Emil Lang, T. R. Edwards, and the other survivors (including a now micronized Breetai) aboard the SDF-3 in the Robotech Expeditionary Force mission to the Master's homeworld.
In Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles, during the final phase of the Third Robotech War, Exedore android Janice were aboard the REF science vessel Deukalion as part of the test firing of the Neutron S Missiles that were planned for use at Reflex Point. Underestimating the power of the weapons, the test firing badly damage the SDF-3 and Deukalion. The wreckage of the Deukalion was recovered with Janice still aboard. Exedore is presumed to have been killed as in the animated movie Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles, as it is stated that there were no other survivors.
Personality and attributes
Powers and abilities
- Exedore was voiced by actor Ted Layman.
- The character was adapted from Exsedol Folmo of The Super Dimension Fortress Macross.
- The change in physical appearance attributed to the Macross Exsedol never happens to the Robotech Exedore. As that change is associated with the character's appearance in Macross: Do You Remember Love?, which is based solely on the original Macross timeline and is explained in Macross 7. However, Exedore was slightly redesigned for his appearances in Robotech II: The Sentinels in order to avoid infringing on Haruhiko Mikimoto's original design.
- Exedore was intended to be a non-playable character in the canceled Robotech video game Crystal Dreams (though not voiced by Layman), and appears in the promotional comic. Curiously, the game's material depicts him as micronized, but still in his cowled Zentraedi uniform.
- The original plans for Robotech II: The Sentinels, as written in Robotech Art 3, had Exedore being the first Zentraedi created, considered a failure because of his physical deformities and reduced (by Zentraedi standards) stature. This fact was carried over to both the comic and novel adaptations, and in the case of both their timelines, would make Exedore several hundred years old. In the Sentinels novel series and the follow-up End of the Circle, Exedore does not participate in the Sentinels campaign. Instead, he remains on Tirol with the downed SDF-3 and the REF's plenipotentiary council, becoming a close ally and friend of Cabell, the Tirolian scientist who created him, and of Dr. Emil Lang. Exedore eventually becomes involved in researching the nature of the local sector of space, discovering many different things which help to solve the puzzle of the novels’ version of the Robotech universe’s history. It is not made clear where Exedore ends up after the main story is finished, but unlike the Shadow Chronicles he is said to be alive. The novels also explain Exedore’s new appearance for the Sentinels era as a result of plastic surgery done to make him appear less unnerving. Early in their storyline, it is also said that Exedore will remain permanently micronized, due to the REF’s sizing chamber breaking down. Exedore also appears in the novel The Zentraedi Rebellion as a character with a grim opinion on the possibility of human/Zentraedi coexistence. The Sentinels comics have a similar story, but were canceled before they could finish. According to issue 1 of the Robotech II: The Sentinels: The Illustrated Handbook miniseries, Exedore’s micronized height is 5 feet, 2 inches. Exedore also appears in the Zentraedi comics set before the SDF-1 era, including the Zentraedi segments of the early issues of Return to Macross, and their later spin-offs Warriors and Metal Swarm. Return to Macross was published by Eternity/Malibu, and Warriors and Metal Swarm by Academy The Zentraedi comics outside of the Sentinels storyline give some of the male Zentraedi characters the surnames they had in the original Macross material: Exedore is given the full name "Exedore Formo" (Macross sources tend to use the spelling “Folmo”). In those same comics, Exedore was given his own title in their invented Zentraedi language: domillan, which means "strategist" or "advisor". Both of these pieces of data were carried over into the novel The Zentraedi Rebellion but do not appear in any of the other novels or media.