Eye of Agamotto
The Eye of Agamotto is an artifact that features in Marvel Comics.
The Eye of Agamotto was a mysterious magical relic that had ties to the mystical being Agamotto. It was said to had been given as a gift to the dimension that Earth inhabited where it was passed from generation to the next of Sorcerer Supremes that earned it through meditation and study. (New Avengers v2 #5) There were various accounts about the origins of the Eye of Agamotto with some of these conflicting with one another. According to one account, Agamotto was said to had discovered it within the sea of stars whilst another stated that he had created it when he became Sorcerer Supreme. It was also said that there were three different Eyes with each having a different power with the first manifesting knowledge, the second manifesting power and the third being lost to time. (Savage Avengers v1 #8)
In 1944, the Amulet of Agamotto remained in the care of the Ancient One when Nazi forces sought to acquire it. They drugged the Ancient One and his servant Hamir with the aid of Baron Mordo where they captured the pair for the Red Skull. He sought to learn to use the amulet as a weapon during World War II but they were interrupted by the arrival of Captain America and Bucky. At that moment, the dread Dormammu intervened where he captured the Red Skull and transported him to his realm in order to claim the Amulet of Agamotto for himself. The Ancient One aided the U.S. forces in journeying to the Dark Dimension in order to stop Dormammu from invading Earth and reclaiming the Amulet of Agamotto. (Captain America - Nick Fury The Otherworld War v1 #1)
With Eternity threatened, Doctor Strange met with the World Devourer Galactus to enlist his aid as the universe was threatened. Galactus sought to use the energies of the Eye to find the danger to Eternity. However, this use of the Eye displeased Agamotto who abducted Strange and took back his various relics. Doctor Strange did manage to bring Galactus to Agamotto's dimension with the two cosmic beings waging battle against one another. In the fight, Strange was freed from Agamottos magical trap and managed to call the Vishanti who put an end to the fighting. Agamotto returned his relics to the Sorcerer Supreme who summoned the Eyes power to energise Galactus's equipment as they sought to save Eternity and the universe itself. (Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme v1 #43)
After losing his status as Sorcerer Supreme, Doctor Strange sought out a new Master of the Mystics Arts to replace him and be worthy of the Eye of Agamotto. (New Avengers v1 #51) Whilst searching for candidates, he was pursued and attacked by the Hood who was working on behalf of his demonic master to claim the relic. (New Avengers v1 #52) Due to the immense strain of his role, Stephen Strange relinquished his role as Sorcerer Supreme with the Eye seeking a new wielder to take on the duty. Its power was sensed before many that were candidates for receiving its power. This led to the Dormammu-possessed Hood chasing after these individuals in order to get the mystical relic with him ambushing Daimon Hellstrom. However, the Eye manifested in the home of Brother Voodoo who it selected as being worthy of its power and of the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme which he accepted. (New Avengers v1 #54) The newly crowned Doctor Voodoo was then attacked by Doctor Doom who sought to acquire the Eye for himself but after holding it he had a vision of a dark future and left it in the care of Jericho Drumm. (Doctor Voodoo: Avenger of the Supernatural v1 #1) Afterwards, a possessed Daimon Hellstorm and Doctor Strange attacked Brother Voodoo for the Eye which went into the care of Luke Cage. This saw the possessed mystics attack Avengers Mansion in an effort to claim the Eye. (New Avengers v2 #2) Afterwards, Daniel Drumm was mad with grief over the death of his brother and targeted Stephen Strange who was forced to use dark magic to kill the spectral entity. This act impressed the Ancient One as Strange had done it without succumbing to the dark magic leading to his mentor gifting the Eye of Agamotto back to him thus restoring him to his position as the world's Sorcerer Supreme. (New Avengers v2 #34)
Upon sensing the 'third' Eye of Agamotto, Doctor Strange sought to investigate the relic and journeyed to Latveria where the amulet was in the possession of the time-displaced barbarian called Conan. The warrior was a guest of Doctor Doom who also looked to acquire the third Eye that was in Conan's possession. The three then decided to work together in confronting the evil wizard Kulan Kath who had originally acquired the third Eye. (Savage Avengers v1 #8)
The All-Seeing Eye served as a conduit to knowledge and power that was given to those that were chosen by it. As such, one could not acquire it through theft or killing its user as all who had done so had failed to make use of the Eye. (New Avengers v2 #5) Such was its potency that it was held as one of the most powerful mystical conduits on the physical plane. (New Avengers v1 #52)
Wielders of the Eye needed a certain level of aptitude and training in order to use its higher functions. (Doctor Strange v2 #80)
- The Eye of Agamotto was created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko where it made its first appearance in Strange Tales v1 #128 (December, 1963)
- In What If? V1 #18 (1979), an alternate version of the Eye of Agamotto was shown in the story. It was wielded by the Ancient One and said to be a doorway to Eternity.
In other media
- In Ultimate Spider-Man, the Eye of Agamotto made its first appearance in the episode "Strange Days" where Doctor Strange used it to open a portal to the dimension of dreams to battle Nightmare.
- In Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., the Eye of Agamotto made an appearance in the episode "Stranger in a Stranger Land". It was used by Doctor Strange to battle the dread Dormammu but the demon in stills his essence in the Eye allowing him in o manifest on Earth in the Sanctum Sanctorum.
- In Avengers Assemble, the Eye of Agamotto made multiple appearances in the animated television series. In the episode "The Eye of Agamotto", it was revealed to had been one of the magical eyes of the first Sorcerer Supreme Agamotto who was exiled after becoming power hungry. His eye was claimed and used to create the mystical talisman that was the Eye of Agamotto with the fallen sorcerer seeking to reclaim it to restore his great power once again. In the episode "Into the Dark Dimension", it was wielded by Doctor Strange but was taken by the Dread Dormammu until the Avengers helped recover it from the Dark Dimension.
- In Doctor Strange: The Sorcerer Supreme, the Eye of Agamotto appeared in the animated movie where it was wielded by the Ancient One. The Ancient One's disciples were shown to wear similar looking amulets. He passed the Eye to Doctor Strange to be the new Sorcerer Supreme that Dormammu managed to briefly take control until Strange absorbed the powerful demon returning the Eye of Agamotto to him.
- In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the Eye of Agamotto made multiple appearances in the shared continuity setting:
- In Doctor Strange, the Eye of Agamotto appeared in the live-action film where it was actually one of the Infinity Stones that had the power to manipulate time and was wielded by the first Sorcerer Supreme who was Agamotto.
- In Avengers: Infinity War, the Eye of Agamotto returned in the live-action film with it still being in the possession of Doctor Strange. When Thanos was gathering the Infinity Stones, one of the last to remain was the Time Stone in the Eye of Agamotto with Strange attempting to protect it from the Mad Titan.
- In Marvel Heroes, the Eye of Agamotto was an item available in the MMORPG game. It was described as one of the most powerful mystical conduits on the mortal plane.
- In Marvel: Contest of Champions, the Eye of Agamotto was referenced in the biography of Doctor Strange in the mobile video game.
- Strange Tales v1: (1963)
- Doctor Strange v2:
- New Avengers v1:
- New Avengers v2:
- Defenders: The Best Defense v1: (2019)
- Savage Avengers v1: (2019)