From Multiversal Omnipedia
Hordak is a male supervillain that features in the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.
Personality and attributes
Powers and abilities
In other media
- In She-Ra: Princess of Power, Hordak appeared as the primary antagonist of the 1985 animated television series where he was voiced by actor George DiCenzo. The episode "The Peril of Whispering Wood" established Horde Prime's son as being Prince Zed who referred to Hordak as 'uncle'.
- In He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Hordak appeared as an antagonist in the 2002 animated television series where he was voiced by actor Colin Murdock. This version was a powerful sorcerer and warlord who emerged long ago where he sought to conquer Eternia. After defeating King Hiss, he turned his sights to the sole remaining kingdom that opposed him which was ruled by King Greyskull and gathered his Horde to conquer it. During the battle, King Greyskull fought with his great power and Hordak sought to defeat his enemies by banishing them to the dimension of Despondos. However, King Grayskull turned the spell back against Hordak and his forces thus trapping them in Despondos though the act was fatal to the monarch.
- In She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, Hordak appeared as an antagonist in the 2018 animated television series where he was voiced by actor Keston John. This version had a different backstory where he was one of many clones of Horde Prime and served as a high ranking general within his 'brothers' empire. Such was the case until he manifested a flaw within him and he was sent to fight on the frontier. A dimensional tear later caused Hordak to fall into Etheria that resided in the pocket dimension of Despondos. Trapped there, he used his meagre resources to establish the Evil Horde and attempted to conquer Etheria in his brothers name but ultimately sought to find a means to return to Horde Prime.
- In The Secret of the Sword, the character would make his first appearance in the Filmation series where he was voiced by George DiCenzo. He was shown as a general in the galactic army known as the Evil Horde who once invaded Eternia where Hordak took Skeletor as his apprentice and taught him everything he knew. During the battle for Eternia, the Horde fought against King Randor along with his forces and the magic of Castle Grayskull. Whilst attacking the Royal Palace, Hordak and Skeletor managed to sneak inside where they sought to kidnap Randor's two newborn children. They had only managed to take Princess Adora when the guard was called and Skeletor was captured with Hordak fleeing to his base at Snake Mountain. Man-at-Arms and the Sorceress were present when Hordak escaped into a portal where he said he may had been defeated but that the child would never be seen again. Afterwards, he would become the ruler of Etheria that he kept under his brutal rule and he raised Princess Adora as his adoptive daughter where with the aid of Shadow Weaver's magic they kept her under control as she grew into adulthood to become a Force Captain in the Horde. From Eternia, Prince Adam would arrive at Etheria in search for the owner of the Sword of Protection where as He-Man he would battle Hordak's forces and free his sister Princess Adora from his control. When returning to Eternia, Hordak would follow them where he would at first be at odds with his old pupil Skeletor before the two allied with one another. Skeletor would ultimately betray him and send him back to Etheria where he assembled a Horde army to lay siege to the free kingdom of Brightmoon but were defeated by both He-Man and She-Ra where the Princess of Power remained on the planet to continue to oppose the Horde.
- Mattel made a toy of the character that was released in 2009 that included a biography of the villain. It stated that his original name was Hec-Tor Kur wo was the second born heir of the Horde Empire that went to Eternia to battle the cosmic warrior He-Ro. At this time, he took the name Hordak where he raised an army to challenge the Snake Men for rule over the world. He would defeat King Hssss but King Grayskull who led the free people of Eternia managed to defeat Hordak whereupon he banished the warlord to the dimension of Despondos. For centuries, Hordak remained until he made contact with a young alchemist named Keldor who he taught the ways of the dark arts in exchange for his freedom from the dark extra-dimensional prison.
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: