Star Destroyers are capital ships that feature in Star Wars.
Imperial Star Destroyers were massive warships that made up the bulk of the Imperial fleet. Weapons of terror, they were dangerous by themselves and even moreso in groups, dwarfed in might only by the Super Star Destroyer Executor. A Star Destroyer, the Terror, chased down and captured Princess Leia's ship, the Tantive IV, near Tatooine; the ships were also used to hunt down escaping Rebel ships following the Battle of Hoth, and participated in the decisive Battle of Endor.
Within the Unknown Regions, the remnants of the Empire formed the First Order where they continued to build their forces in secret. Despite treaties, the Order continued to build larger Star Destroyers with them building the new Resurgent class Star Destroyers for their naval forces.
During this time, a transmission was broadcast into the galaxy that was seemingly the returned Emperor Palpatine. This resulted in Supreme Leader Snoke searching for the source of the broadcast where he managed to track it to the hidden Sith world of Exegol. Once there, he discovered that Palpatine had survived the Death Star II and had escaped to the planet where he had built a secret army. This included a fleet of new Star Destroyers that were part of his Final Order. Emperor Palpatine offered this force to Kylo Ren if he brought Rey to him after which he began his search for the last living Jedi. During this time, the Resistance came to learn of this force and began their search for Exegol in order to destroy the Star Destroyer fleet before it could be unleashed on the galaxy.
There were various models of Star Destroyers that included:
- Acclamator class :
- Venator class :
- Victory class :
- Imperial class :
- Resurgent class :
- Xyston class :
- Star Destroyers were created by George Lucas where they made their first appearance in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope.
In other media
- In Star Wars: Empire at War, Star Destroyers were playable units in the real-time strategy game where they were among the space forces for the Galactic Empire faction.
- In Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption, Star Destroyers appeared again as playable units in the sequel real-time strategy game where they were among the space forces for the Galactic Empire faction.
- In Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Star Destroyers appeared in the setting of the action video game. Several were shown during the Empire's invasion of the planet Kashyyyk.
- In Star Wars: Battlefront, Star Destroyers appear in the setting of the video game.
- In Star Wars: Battlefront II, Star Destroyers appear in the setting of the video game.
- Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope:
- Star Wars: Episode V - Empire Strikes Back:
- Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi:
- Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens:
- Star Wars: Rebels:
- Rogue One:
- Solo: A Star Wars Story:
- Star Wars: Resistance:
- Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi:
- Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker: