The Rebel Alliance is an organization that features in Star Wars.
The Rebel Alliance was an organization that was formed in the wake of the collapse of the Galactic Republic. After the formation of the Galactic Empire, a group of rebels were formed from resistance movements during the Clone Wars. For decades, the Rebellion worked in secret for decades that sought to overthrow Emperor Palpatine in order to restore democracy to the galaxy. Among the planets and races cooperating with the Alliance were Alderaan and the Mon Calamari.
As Saw Gerrera became more extreme his actions, he and his Partisans severed ties with the Rebel Alliance. Their acts was noted to had impacted the image of the Alliance in its own attempts at fighting the Empire.
Rebel Intelligence came to learn of unusual activity from the Empire from the occupied world of Jedha. This involved large scale mining operations of Kyber Crystals for an unknown purpose. Eventually, it was discovered that an Imperial pilot had defected who was given vital information by Galen Erso. This was that the empire was producing a planet-killing superweapon that was a danger to the galaxy. However, the pilot had sought out Saw Gerrara and was captured as a result. In order to recover him, the Alliance came to learn that Gerrara had close ties to Jyn Erso and went to free her. She was under the identity of Liana Hallik and had been captured by the Empire where she was being taken to a labor camp. The Rebels staged an attack in order to free her where she was brought to the base at Yavin IV in order to enlist her aid in recovering her father Galen Erso and stopping the deployment of the weapon.
The Rebel Alliance's efforts to stop the Empire were limited, until a band of soon-to-be legendary heroes- Princess Leia Organa, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2- joined the Alliance. With the Battle of Yavin, the Galactic Civil War had truly begun. The Rebel Alliance began to have major successes, with Skywalker himself behind the destruction of the Imperial super-weapon known as the Death Star.
The Alliance was dealt a blow with their defeat on Hoth but more allies joined over the years, such as Lando Calrissian. The tide began to turn against the Empire, with more and more star systems freed by the Alliance. Finally, the top Imperial leaders- Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader- died at the decisive Battle of Endor. In the time afterwards, the Alliance began hunting down Imperial officials that had become warlords. Once these threats were eliminated and the Rebels became more organised they began focusing on peacekeeping duties such as escorting delegates and suppressing riots. With the death of the Emperor, the Rebel Alliance proceeded with establishing the New Republic that battled the various Imperial remnants.
In appearance, the Rebel Alliance was a resistance movement that formed to oppose the ruling Galactic Empire.
It was known to possess its own information gathering and covert ops division that was Rebel Intelligence.
The Alliance often made use of reprogrammed Imperial droids as part of their assets.
They made use of a range of craft that included:
- A-Wing :
- X-Wing :
- B-Wing :
- U-Wing :
- Y-Wing :
- Mon Mothma :
- Bail Organa :
- Leia Organa :
- Carlist Rieekan :
- Jan Dodonna :
- Crix Madine :
- Raddus : a blue-skinned male Mon Calamari who served as an admiral in the Alliance fleet during the Galactic Civil War.
- Ahsoka Tano :
- Cassian Andor :
- Jyn Erso :
- Hera Syndulla :
- Ezra Bridger :
- Gial Ackbar :
- Wedge Antilles :
- Luke Skywalker :
- Han Solo :
- Chewbacca :
- Lando Calrissian :
- Cara Dune : a dark-haired female human who served as a shock trooper within the Rebel Alliance until sometime after Endor where she then became a mercenary.
- The Rebel Alliance was created by George Lucas where it made its first appearance in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope.
- In Star Wars Legends, the Empire lost control of much of its territory, and the Rebel Alliance soon formed the New Republic.
In other media
- In Star Wars: Force Commander, the Rebel Alliance appeared as a playable faction and featured in the setting of the strategy video game.
- In Star Wars: Empire at War, the Rebel Alliance appeared as one of the playable factions in the strategy video game.
- In Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron, the Rebel Alliance appeared in the video game. During the campaign, the players took the role of an elite unit known as Renegade Squadron that consisted of smugglers and mercenaries that handled high priority missions with them being headed by Han Solo and Col Serra. The unit was disbanded following the establishment of the New Republic with Jedi historian Tionne Solusar looking into the records of the squadron.
- In Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, the Rebel Alliance appeared in the setting of the video game. They were shown to had been formed from various resistance groups brought together by Galen Marek who used them as a force to distract Emperor Palpatine.
- In Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II, the Rebel Alliance appeared in the setting of the video game.
- In Star Wars: Battlefront, the Rebel Alliance appeared in the video game with players able to take the role of Rebel troopers in the multiplayer battles.
- In Star Wars: Battlefront II, the Rebel Alliance appeared in the video game. Idenn Versio joined the ranks of the Rebel Alliance after seeing the massacres the Empire was conducting on its own citizens of her homeworld.
- Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope:
- Star Wars: Episode V - Empire Strikes Back:
- Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi:
- Star Wars: Rebels:
- Rogue One:
- The Mandalorian: