The Galactic Republic is a government that features in Star Wars.
Under the direction of Sifo-Dyas, the cloners of Kamino were contacted with creating an entire line of Clone Troopers bred from the DNA of the bounty hunter Jango Fett. These clones were bred in secret and were used to establish the Grand Army of the Republic. The Grand Army was formally deployed at the outbreak of hostilities with the Droid Armies of the newly formed Confederacy of Independent Systems that formed in opposition to the Republic. With the Jedi in the lead, the Grand Army was deployed to strike the Separatist forces on Geonosis leading to the outbreak of the devastating Clone Wars.
At the conclusion of the Clone Wars, Chancellor Palpatine made the Declaration of the New Order and re-ordered the Republic into the Galactic Empire. In opposition to the Empire, various worlds formed resistance groups that formed into the Rebel Alliance that in time took part in the Galactic Civil War. This culminated in the death of Emperor Palpatine with the Rebel Alliance seeking a return of the republic with them forming the New Republic.
It was headed by a body known as the Galactic Senate that represented the various member worlds of the Republic.
One group within the Republic were the Senate Guards who for centuries had kept the galaxy's legislators from harm as they operated on Coruscant. The best and bravest of the guard could receive an invitation to become members of the elite Senate Commandos that carried secret government missions.
- Palpatine :
- Valorum :
- Bail Organa :
- Padme Amidala :
In other media
- In Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns, the Galactic Republic appeared as a playable faction in the strategy video game expansion. Set during the Clone Wars, the player took the role of Jedi Master Echuu Shen-Jo who led an army division of the clone army against the Confederacy of Independent Systems.
- In Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, the Galactic Republic was shown in the setting of the RPG video game. Set 4,000 years ago, it was shown that the peaceful Republic had come under attack from the war-like Mandalorians leading to the brutal Mandalorian Wars. The conflict came to an end when the Jedi Knight Revan led a rogue group of followers in battling their foe where he defeated them at Malachor. However, he became corrupted by the Dark Side of the Force alongside his lieutenant where the two became the Sith Lords Darth Revan and Darth Malak. They then used the forces under their command to wage war against the Galactic Republic.
- In Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords, the Galactic Republic featured in the setting of the RPG video game sequel. It was shown that after the departure of Revan that the Sith Triumvirate came to power where they continued their war against the Republic.
- In Star Wars: The Old Republic, the Galactic Republic were one of the two main factions in the MMORPG with the other being the Sith Empire. Set 300 years after the other two games, the Galactic Republic came under attack from the Sith Empire that had been hiding for centuries where they launched an all out attack under the command of the Sith Emperor. After attacking the Jedi Temple directly, the Treaty of Coruscant was signed between the Republic and the Empire leading to a cold war state between the two nations.
- Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace:
- Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones:
- Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith: