James Rhodes (Marvel)
James Rhodes is a male comic superhero who features in Marvel Comics.
James Rupert Rhodes was a male human born in the modern age on Earth.
His sister had a daughter by the name of Lila Rhodes. (Iron Patriot v1 #1)
He later established his own business named Rhodes Recovery that worked in the field of marine salvage. (Iron Man v3 #1)
He received word that his old friend Glenda Sandoval had been captured in Aqiria by her employers in Eaglestar International. This led to Rhodey abducting Parnell Jacobs to help manage his operations whilst War Machine went to rescue Glenda. With his armor, he was easily able to decimate the private military outfit though they called for assistance from Norman Osborn who sent Ares to fight War Machine. (War Machine v2 #2)
A government contract between Stark Resilient and the Pentagon led to War Machine being assigned to the U.S. military as their own 'Iron Man'. He was thus assigned to the U.S. Department of Defense and given the rank of Lieutenant Colonel under the command of General Babbage who had a personal grudge against Rhodes for his actions against Ultimo and Norman Osborn. His first assignment was to investigate the death of former DARPA weapons designer Palmer Addley who was charged with committing terrorist acts around the world yet had been dead for months. War Machine confronted the supposedly dead Addley who dropped a nuclear weapon on him with Rhodes barely managing to survive though his armour was badly damaged. In response, Tony Stark replaced the War Machine armor with a more advanced stream-lined armor that was named 'Iron Man 2.0.' Armor. (Iron Man 2.0 v1 #3)
He was later recruited into the Secret Avengers initiative by Phil Coulson who required his assistance to help control the Iron Patriot armours that had been given sentience by A.I.M. and let loose on targets around the world. Escorted to the S.H.I.E.L.D. Tages research station, he was allowed access to a holographic access terminal that allowed him to communicate with the Iron Patriot drones. The machine intelligences recognised Rhodes as the 'pilot' and accepted his authority where one equipped him in armour and allowed him to take command of them in the field. (Secret Avengers v2 #6) He led the Iron Patriot drones in defence of Earth when it came under attack from the Mad Titan Thanos. In the fight, he worked alongside newly activated Inhuman Sarah Garza who was a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. During the fight, Rhodes and his team were captured by another newly activated Inhuman who had control over metal. (Secret Avengers v2 #10)
Stark later used bio-engineering techniques to reboot the body of James Rhodes thus restoring him back to life. (Invincible Iron Man v1 #600)
Personality and attributes
Powers and abilities
At one point, Rhodes body was badly damaged and he was transformed into a cyborg. (War Machine v2 #1) The suit was equipped with magnolocks allowing him to draw on other machinery and attach it to his own frame allowing it to replace lost mechanical limbs. (War Machine v2 #3)
A variant of the War Machine Armor was created that was made into the Iron Man 2.0 Armor that stripped away most of the weapons. This stream lined armor was equipped with a chameleon mode that provided invisibility, camouflage and holographic projection without any side effects of the earlier version of the system. It was also outfitted with Ghost Tech that was multi-dimensional bridge technology allowing the wearer to pass through solid objects. A scanner invisibility was an added feature that made the user undetectable to tracking systems. There is also a combat mode that amplified strength and weapon systems to take out a target. The various add ons could only operate one at a time with it not possible to engage two different systems such as Chameleon and Ghost. A limitation on the armor was that these add-on features placed a strain on the repulsor that prevented for sustained heavy use. As a result, it meant that the Iron Man 2.0 operated by being fast and hitting the target with heavy weapons rather than constant use. (Iron Man 2.0 v1 #3)
- James Rhodes was created by David Michelinie and Bob Layton where he made his first appearance in Iron Man v1 #118 (January, 1979).
In other media
- In Iron Man, James Rhodes appeared as War Machine in the 1990s animated television series where he was voiced by actor James Avery for most of season one and then by actor Dorian Harewood for the remainder of the series.
- In Spider-Man, James Rhodes appeared in a guest role in the 1990s animated television series in the episodes "Venom Returns" and "Carnage" where he was voiced by actor James Avery.
- In Iron Man: Armored Adventures, James Rupert "Rhodey" Rhodes was part of the main cast of characters in the animated series where he was voiced by actor Daniel Bacon. This version was re-imagined as a young teenager who lived with his mother Roberta Rhodes who was a lawyer. Rhodes was the best friend of tge teenage Tony Stark with the two attending the same school together with them also being friends with Pepper Potts. After the seeming death of Howard Stark, Tony Stark began to live at the Rhodes residence who acted as a foster family for him.
- In The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, James Rhodes appeared in the animated television series where he was voiced by actor Bumper Robinson.
- In The Invincible Iron Man, James Rhodes appeared in the 2007 animated film where she was voiced by actor Rodney Saulsberry.
- In Iron Man: Rise of Technovore, James Rhodes appeared in the anime film where he was voiced by English actor James C. Mathis III and Japanese actor Hiroki Yasumoto.
- In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, James Rhodes made a number of appearances in the shared continuity setting.
- In Iron Man, James Rhodes made his first appearance in the live-action film where he was portrayed by actor Terrence Howard.
- In Iron Man 2, James Rhodes appeared in the live-action sequel film where he was portrayed by actor Don Cheadle.
- In Iron Man 3, James Rhodes appeared in the live-action film where he was portrayed by actor Don Cheadle.
- In Avengers: Age of Ultron, James Rhodes appeared in the live-action film where he was portrayed by actor Don Cheadle.
- In Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, James Rhodes as War Machine appeared as an alternate costume for Iron Man in the 2006 video game.
- In Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2, James Rhodes as War Machine appeared as a boss character in the 2009 video game.
- In Marvel: Avengers Alliance, James Rhodes as War Machine appeared as a character with a Dossier in the Facebook video game.
- In Marvel Heroes, James Rhodes appeared as a playable character in the MMORPG where he was voiced by again actor James C. Mathis III.
- In Marvel: Contest of Champions, War Machine appeared as a playable character in the mobile video game.
- In Marvel: Future Fight, War Machine appeared as a playable character in the mobile video game.
- Iron Man:
- War Machine:
- War Machine v2:
- Iron Man 2.0 v1:
- Secret Avengers v1:
- Secret Avengers v2:
- Iron Patriot v1:
- Invincible Iron Man:
- Civil War II v1:
- Tony Stark: Iron Man v1: