Nyssa Raatko is a female comic character that features in DC Comics.
Nyssa Raatko (Arabic: نيسا رعتكو)
In 1923, she was in Paris when she was pregnant with a child and gave birth to a son named Daniel. Her father Ra's had learnt of the birth and invited Nyssa to meet him at a café. He asked her to give him her child but she refused leading to him calling Ubu to threaten her life. However, her servant Shoshana pulled out a gun on the Demon's Head and Ubu allowing her matron Nyssa to depart with her child. (Detective Comics v1 #783)
At some point, he shared the secrets of the Lazarus Pits with his daughter Nyssa. Sixty years ago, she approached the Demon's Head and begged for his help but he refused her as he instead focused on his holy war. (Batman: Death and the Maidens v1 #1)
Two years ago, her father met with her where he told her of Batman and of the Dark Knight seeking to kill him by targeting the Lazarus Pits. (Batman: Death and the Maidens v1 #1)
A year ago, her great grandson Lieutenant Captain Vasily Vasilievich Arketov was killed with Nyssa informed of the death of her last living descendant. (Batman: Death and the Maidens v1 #1)
Personality and attributes
Powers and abilities
- Nyssa Raatko was created by Greg Rucka and Klaus Janson where she made her first appearance in Detective Comics v1 #783 (August 2003).
In other media
- In the Arrowverse, Nyssa al Ghul made an appearance in the shared continuity of the live-action television series setting.
- In the CW series Arrow, the character appeared as Nyssa al Ghul who was portrayed by Katrina Law in the episode "Heir of the Demon". She was said to be the daughter of Ra's al Ghul and his heir where she was part of his League of Assassins where she was well trained in martial arts. At some point, she was a member of the group responsible for finding Sara Lance who had survived being stranded on the Island. Nyssa found Sara alone and dying where she rescued her to take Lance back to Nanda Parbat where she was inducted into the League. During their time together, the pair became lover who were romantically linked to on another. Their relationship suffered when Sara departed Nanda Parbat as she could no longer live the life of an assassin. Nyssa would arrive at Starling City under the name Raatko where she had an agent put a mild poison from the Tibetan pit viper to put Sara's sister Laurel Lance in the hospital. This forced Sara to return to her home where Nyssa greeted her with a kiss on the lips and asked for her to join her side. Lance would refuse leading to Nyssa kidnapping her mother in order to force her return. It was only when Sara nearly committed suicide that Nyssa decided to spare her. When Sara urged Nyssa to stop the killing, the daughter of Ra's al Ghul decided to agree to her request and formally allowed Lance to leave the service of the League of Assassins. In "The Magician", she would return to Starling after Sara went missing and learnt from Oliver Queen that she was killed with numerous arrows shot into Lance's body. Thus, she would seek revenge and came to believe that Malcolm Merlyn was responsible as he was Sara's target. In "Nanda Parbat", Nyssa learnt that Oliver Queen had survived and informed her father where she pushed for her lover Sara to be avenged. Thea Queen later notified the League of Merlyn's location where Nyssa arrived where she beat Malcolm and took him into custody in order to avenge Sara which led to a confrontation with Oliver Queen before she could take her prisoner back to her father.
- In Legends of Tomorrow, a young Talia was shown in the episode "Left Behind" set in the 1960s where it was shown that her younger sister Nyssa was not born at the time. In "River of Time", it was shown that Sara Lance met Nyssa al Ghul during her conflict with Malcolm Meryln over the League of Assassins. Nyssa re-united with Sara prior to her joining Rip Hunters mission and warned her love to stay away from the dark life of the League of Assassins.
- In Batman: Arkham Knight, Nyssa appeared in the "Season of Infamy" DLC during the "Shadow War" storyline where she was voiced by Jennifer Hale. She was shown as being the daughter of Ra's al Ghul and the older sister of Talia al Ghul. After her sisters death, she turned against her father where she led a rebel faction of the League of Assassin's against him. Loyalist members of the League enlisted the aid of Batman to aid their master who was crippled and hooked up to the Lazarus Machine that only barely kept him alive. The only way to heal Ra's was a sample of a pure Lazarus Pit fluid that Nyssa's faction was guarding. Nyssa's reasons for denying her father the Pit was because she felt that Ra's became less of a man after each resurrection. Thus, she desired him to die whereupon she intended to take control of the League of Assassins that she intended to take away from Gotham City and make them a force for good. The player had two options; they could either support Nyssa by destroying the Lazarus sample or aid Ra's by administering he sample to him. The former sees the Lazarus Machine destroyed with Ra's taken to the GCPD by Batman with Nyssa taking control of the League. The latter sees Ra's restored where he kills Nyssa and escapes in smoke.
- Batgirl v1: