Professor X is a male comic superhero that features in Marvel Comics.
Charles Francis Xavier was the male Mutant son of Brian Xavier and his wife Sharon Xavier. (X-Men v1 #11) Within his mothers womb, he actually had a twin sister named Cassandra Nova where he tried to kill her. (New X-Men v1 #121) After his birth, he had no memory of her and was unaware of her existence as she actually survived the encounter and used cells from her brother to fashion herself a body. (New X-Men v1 #122)
Around 20 years ago, he broke up with Moira MacTaggert which was when he received a call from his friend Daniel Shomron and went to meet him in the Israeli seaport city of Haifa. Once there, Shomron showed that he fielded a hospital for survivors of the Holocaust that was staffed professional and volunteers, one of whom was a man named Magnus. Xavier was called by Daniel to help a young Jewish woman by the name of Gabrielle Haller who was left in a catatonic state by the horrors perpetrated by the Nazis. Using his powers, Charles was able to break the barrier she had formed in her mind and allowing her to be conscious. Xavier stayed in Israel during this time where he helped in Gabrielle's recovery with the two spending time with Magnus as well. He came to learn that Magnus was a fellow Mutant with the power of magnetism who believed that Homo Superior needed to be more aggressive to secure its future with Charles disagreeing with this stance though the two formed a friendship despite their opposing views. Whilst with Gabrielle, Charles came to fall in love with her with the two entering into a romantic relationship during her recovery. At this point, the site was attacked by agents of Hydra with Gabrielle captured by Baron Strucker who intended to take a hidden gold reserve made by the Nazi's to build a Fourth Reich. Both Xavier and Magnus attacked the Hydra forces where they freed Gabrielle whilst taking away the gold leaving Strucker trapped in a cave-in. (Uncanny X-Men v1 #161)
At some point, he came to meet Dr. Daniel Madrox whose newborn child demonstrated unusual abilities with Xavier confirming the boy to be a Mutant. The child had the ability to duplicate himself and in order to get a better handling of his abilities Xavier suggested the family move to an isolated farm in Kansas. Charles provided some help to Dr. Daniel Madrox to design a suit that could control Jamie's duplication powers. (Giant-Size Fantastic Four v1 #4)
After the battle with Lucifer, he was airlifted to India where the doctors diagnosed that he would never be able to walk again. Charles during this time fell into a depression as he wanted to stop existing due to his new condition. It was during this time he met Amelia Voght who was an American nurse in the hospital. She looked after him during his physiotherapy with the two becoming close as she came to care for him with the two eventually having a romantic relationship. He began to stay with her in a two-bedroom apartment located in Bombay where over the course of three months they remained a couple. Xavier began also looking into developing a machine that could be used to identify Mutants. Amelia found out the plans for Cerebro and was angry as she was secretly a Mutant with her believing that Xavier was using her as a test subject to find more Homo Superior. Feeling betrayed, she lashed out at him which was when he used his telepathy thus revealing that he himself as a Mutant. The pair stayed as a couple when they returned to the states when Xavier went back to his late fathers estate in order to continue his life work. Charles began to attend classes at Columbia and by night he returned to Amelia where together they compiled a list along with profiles of Mutants that would accept an offer to being trained in the use of their powers. Despite her assistance, she did not approve of his work with Jean Grey outside his role as child therapist. (Uncanny X-Men v1 #309)
When Scott Summers stayed in his home, Charles found that Amelia had packed her things with her ready to leave. This was because she opposed the concept of the X-Men as she felt that this would see someone else similarly form their own team of Mutants thus creating a genetic arms race. Though she found Charles goals noble, she believed that they were misguided and only drew attention to Mutants thus increasing their persecution. Amelia had intended to convince Xavier that his endeavour was foolhardy but when she could not she decided to leave thus ending their relationship. (Uncanny X-Men v1 #309)
The Man Called X
Though fractured, he managed to restore his mind whereupon he united all the psychics in the world with Psylocke to defeat the Shadow King. Afterwards, he removed the knowledge of his existence from the team except for Psylocke who would keep him honest and ensure he was not a threat to the world. X refused to go back to Xavier School as he stated that was Charles dream whilst he himself had a new dream to accomplish. (Astonishing X-Men v4 #12)
Personality and attributes
After his return from the Astral Plane, he possessed Fantomex's body and asked to be referred to as X. (Astonishing X-Men v4 #6)
From a young age, he learnt that normal humans distrusted and feared him as a Mutant due to his powers. Thus, he concluded that mankind was not ready to accept those with such abilities. It was this reason that he ultimately decided to found a school to serve as a safe haven for himself and other Mutants. (X-Men v1 #1)
Unknown to him, he had a child with Lilandra Neramani with the unhatched offspring remaining in an egg that was kept in stasis. The child was pledged by their mother to the Shi'ar royal line where it remained in stasis for many years. After hatching, the child was shown to had been a daughter who took the name Xandra where she inherited her parents considerable telepathic abilities making her a potential Omega-level weapon that was the centre of Shi'ar politics. (Mr. and Mrs. X v1 #3)
Powers and abilities
As a Mutant, he had the power of telepathically communicating with others and direct his thoughts into their minds. (X-Men v1 #1)
He came to employ a network of spies and clandestine operatives that engaged in various operations yet could not be traced to him in case of their capture or death. Their existence was top-secret that Xavier never confided their existence to his own X-Men in order to prevent inciting any international accident. (Mystique v1 #1)
Charles made a detailed study of various Mutants on their strengths and weaknesses with these detailed in the Xavier Protocols. (Excalibur v1 #100)
Located in New York’s Westchester County, it served as an exclusive private school for his X-Men. (X-Men v1 #1)
- Professor X was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby where he made his first appearance in X-Men v1 #1 (September, 1963).
- In Team X 2000 v1 #1 (1999), an alternate version of Professor X was shown who resided on Earth-9922. She had a daughter with Charles Xavier who was named Alanna Neramani where she was raised among the Shi'ar. Alanna despised her mother and plotted her downfall by the time she was an adult resulting in a civil war amongst the Shi'ar.
- In X-Men: The End v1 #2 (2004), an alternate version of Professor X was shown to reside on Earth-41001. On this Earth, he was shown to have had a son with Lilandra Neramani with their offspring being named Xavi. His birth was kept secret from his father and the child grew up as the first born son of Majestrix Lilandra who ruled the Shi'ar empire with him being the next in line for the throne.
In other media
- In X-Men: Pryde of the X-Men, Professor X appeared in the 1989 animated television pilot where he was voiced by actor John Stephenson.
- In X-Men, Professor X appeared in the 1990 animated television series where he was voiced by actor Cedric Smith.
- In Spider-Man, Professor X appeared in guest roles in the 1990 animated television series where he was voiced once again by actor Cedric Smith.
- In X-Men: Evolution, Professor X appeared in the animated television series where he was voiced by actor David Kaye.
- In Wolverine and the X-Men, Professor X appeared in the animated television series where he was voiced by actor Jim Ward.
- In X-Men, Professor Charles Xavier appeared in the live-action film where he was portrayed by actor Patrick Stewart.
- In X2, Professor Charles Xavier appeared in the live-action film sequel where he was portrayed again by actor Patrick Stewart.
- In X-Men: The Last Stand, Professor Charles Xavier appeared in the live-action film where he was once more portrayed by actor Patrick Stewart.
- In X-Men: First Class, Professor Charles Xavier appeared in the live-action film where he was portrayed by actor James McAvoy.
- In X-Men: Days of Future Past, Professor Charles Xavier appeared in the live-action film where he was portrayed by both actors James McAvoy and Patrick Stewart.
- In X-Men: Apocalypse, Professor Charles Xavier appeared in the live-action film where he was once more portrayed by actor James MvAcoy.
- In Logan, Professor Charles Xavier appeared in the live-action film where he was portrayed by actor Patrick Stewart.
- X-Men v1:
- Giant-Size Fantastic Four v1:
- Uncanny X-Men v1:
- Mystique v1:
- X-Men: Legacy v1:
- Astonishing X-Men: