Veranke is a female alien supervillain that features in Marvel Comics.
Princess Veranke was a female member of the Skrull species who was one of the blood born among her kind and was from the Tyeranx Seven Province of the empire. She came to be guided by prophecy and headed a large religious group within the Skrull Empire where she came to believe that ruin was coming to her people. This group spoke of the warnings but they were ignored by Emperor Dorrek VII with the princess confronting him during a gathering on the Skrull world of Satriani. For her defiance, the emperor had her arrested and exiled to a planetoid for years. (New Avengers v1 #40)
Whilst on Earth, she and her Skrulls disguised themselves as Hydra agents which was when Jessica Drew approached them and wanted her powers restored as Spider-Woman. Thus, she was inducted as an agent of Hydra but was unaware that her handlers were Skrulls who abducted her. She was then used as a template for Veranke who took on the guise of Spider-Woman as part of the infiltration of the planet for the coming Secret Invasion of Earth. The Queen then coordinated her peoples actions which included continued infiltration of S.H.I.E.L.D., targeting the planet's Vibranium as it was a potential weapon against them, stoking anti-Mutant sentiment and to fracture the superhuman community. This also included targeting the influential superhumans such as Tony Stark and Reed Richards with Veranke intending for Richards along with his spouse to be tried by the Skrulls for the destruction of their world. (New Avengers v1 #42)
Personality and attributes
Powers and abilities
Through a special Skrull ritual, she was able to flawlessly copy the personality, powers and knowledge of her target which was Spider-Woman Jessica Drew. (New Avengers v1 #42)
- Veranke was created by Brian Michael Bendis and Jim Cheung where she made her first appearance in New Avengers #1 (January, 2005) disguised as Spider-Woman only to be revealed in her true identity in New Avengers v1 #40 (June, 2008).
- In Civil War v1 (2015), a version of Veranke survived on Battleworld where she resided in the Civil War realm. She masqueraded as Black Panther and engineered the destruction of the Negative Zone prison and continuing the hostilities between Iron Man and Steve Rogers. Afterwards, she went into hiding in the divide between the Blue and the Iron where she continued the engineer conflict between the two sides to bring about war. After capturing President Tony Stark, she intended to replace him only for Stark to break free and learn of the Skrull plot.
In other media
- In The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Veranke made an appearance as an antagonist in the cartoon series second season where she was voiced by actor Elizabeth Daily. This version led the Skrull invasion forces of Earth where she spearheaded an infiltration of the planet as dictated to her by prophecy. Veranke managed to infiltrate the superhero community by taking the identity of Mockingbird with the real Bobbi Morse being abducted by the Skrulls.
- In Marvel: War of Heroes, Empress Veranke appeared as a playable card in the video game.
- In Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, Veranke appeared as a playable character in the fighting video game where she was voiced by actor Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.
- New Avengers v1:
- Civil War v1: