The Vulture is a male comic supervillain that features in Marvel Comics.
Toomes then purchased a nightclub on a rooftop known as The Wake which served as his secret base of operations. He then began recruiting teenagers and outfitted them with magnetic wings of his own design to be part of his flock. Each of these minions was named after an angel and were led by Angela Death with them being sent steal riches for him. Their abilities were powered by a constant signal from his equipment which forced them to be loyal but he offered them power in exchange with whatever money he deemed fit to give them. A number of these flock ended up disappointing him with the Vulture shutting down their wings in mid-flight cause them to fall to the ground and die. At the time, New York was recovering from the Spider-Island epidemic with the police attributing this to teenagers having lost their powers in the air. Thus, there was no suspicion to Toomes involvement and had Angela recruit new members for anyone of his flock that failed. This activity attracted the attention of Officer Carlie Cooper and Spider-Man with the pair tracking the actions to the Vulture's hide-out. At that time, one of his flock was swindling money from their crimes with Toomes shutting down his magnetic wings causing him to fall only for him to be saved by Spider-Man. The rest of the flock battled the hero with Cooper determining that the minions were kept afloat by a constant signal from the Vulture. This led to Spider-Man using magnetic webs to jam the signals thus grounding them all. The Vulture then entered into the fight but determined that he could not ambush his target due to his Spider-Sense so instead threw a water tower at Officer Cooper. When Spider-Man saved her, Toomes used this opportunity to escape capture. (Amazing Spider-Man v1 #675)
Personality and attributes
He had a black granddaughter named Tiana Toomes who he built a flight harness leading to her become Starling. (Miles Morales: Spider-Man v1 #6)
Powers and abilities
He used modified anti-gravitational technology allowing him to fly without any wings and even lift large objects with ease. (Amazing Spider-Man v1 #675)
- The Vulture was created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko where he made his first appearance in the Amazing Spider-Man v1 #2 (May, 1963).
In other media
- In Spider-Man, the Adrian Toomes Vulture appeared in multiple episodes in the 1990s animated series with the older version voiced by actor Eddie Albert whilst the younger version voiced by actor Alan Johnson.
- In The Spectacular Spider-Man, the Adrian Toomes Vulture appeared in the animated television series where he was voiced by actor Robert Englund.
- In Ultimate Spider-Man, a teenage version of the Adrian Toomes Vulture appeared in the animated television series where he was voiced by actor Tom Kenny.
- In Spider-Man, the Adrian Toomes Vulture appeared in the 2017 animated television series where he was voiced by actor Alastair Duncan. He was shown as being a former employee of Horizon High under Max Modell but was fired for being caught stealing equipment with Toomes stating that he was claiming his own technology and thus sought revenge. Toomes then created a flight suit with a sonic device as he began to pillage Horizon High and steal Vibranium for his own goal. During this time, he encountered the new vigilante Spider-Man where he was ultimately defeated and sent to prison. Whilst serving his sentence, he was freed by Norman Osborn who had Adrian released and allowed to join the ranks of the Osborn Academy as a lecturer. However, he wanted Toomes help to defeat their competitors Horizon High at the upcoming Stark Expo with Adrian revealing to Osborn the existence of V252.
- In Spider-Man: Homecoming, Adrian Toomes as the Vulture appeared in the live-action film set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe where he was portrayed by actor Michael Keaton. He was shown as being a salvager married to Doris with him having a daughter named Liz with Toomes leading crew in order to provide for his family. He operated in the time after the Chitauri invasion to remove the alien invaders technology but they were forced to remove themselves by the newly created Department of Damage Control. However, instead of returning the alien technology, Toomes kept it and had the inventor in his crew reverse-engineer it with human technology in order to operate as criminals. Toomes had an advanced flying exo-suit created allowing him to operate as the Vulture where they raided sites of advanced technology to steal it and use them to make weapons to sell on the black market. His operations attracted the attention of local superhero Spider-Man who began targeting the criminals.
- In Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, the Adrian Toomes Vulture appeared in the video game where he was voiced by actor Kristoffer Tabori.
- In Marvel: Avengers Alliance, the Adrian Toomes Vulture appeared as a boss character in the setting of the Facebook video game.
- In Marvel: Contest of Champions, the Adrian Toomes Vulture based on the MCU version appeared as a playable character in the mobile video game.
- In Marvel: Future Fight, the Adrian Toomes Vulture based on the MCU version appeared as a playable character in the mobile video game.
- Amazing Spider-Man v1:
- Amazing Spider-Man v4: