Kraven the Hunter
Kraven the Hunter is a male comic supervillain that features in Marvel Comics.
Sergei Kravinoff (Russian: Сергей Kravinoff) was a male Russian born to the aristocracy and lived in the time before the Russian Revolution. (Amazing Spider-Man v1 #389) Their family were noted to had served the Czar for six generations. (Web of Spider-Man v2 #7) Alongside him was his half-brother Dmitri Smerdyakov who Sergei treated harshly though his sibling sought to earn his respect. (Amazing Spider-Man v1 #389)
By the time of the revolution, the Kravinoff's fell causing his family to flee to America. (Amazing Spider-Man v1 #389)
At some point, he had encountered the Mutant by the name of Sabretooth with the two striking an enmity. In 1959, he was dating Namora with the two spending time at his private property in Floria by the Emerald Coast. It was there that the pair were approached by Nick Fury who wanted to recruit them for his black-ops Avengers initiative. Among his fellow team members included Dominic Fortune, Sabretooth, Ulysses Bloodstone and Ersnt Sablinova who operated as the Silver Sable. (New Avengers v2 #10) Their first assignment as a team involved tracking down the Red Skull who had formed a new Fourth Reich with him being in Sweden. (New Avengers v2 #11)
After his hunts, he returned to the civilised world where he met with people to regale them with his expeditions. During this time, he encountered Aleksandra Nikolaevna who initially dismissed his claims in the social gathering. She threw her drink in his face and stormed off but Sergei caught up with her where he convinced her by telling her the truth of his hunts. Aleksandra was charmed by him and ended up becoming his friend and eventually his lover. (Web of Spider-Man v2 #7)
In the aftermath, he settled in the Savage Land where he told his family that he was never meant to had been returned to life. They did not understand him and Sergei ended up killing them all except his daughter Ana. Kraven decided to look for a new worthy heir to his legacy and never told his child as he began to stalk the New Men. After killing a number of them, the High Evolutionary could not bear the death of his creations and begged the hunter to stop with Kraven agreeing on the condition of the scientists aid. Thus, through the High Evolutionary, Kraven had hundreds of clones of himself being created that were to be the family and heirs he had always desired in his life. His daughter upon learning of this renounced her name and departed leaving her father to his devices. The clones went through adulthood as they fought and trained together with them eventually being dispatched on missions to prove their worth. Eventually, Kraven had sent out a call for their return with only a single Son of Kraven returning who had killed the others. The clone revealed that this proved his worth to his father and he wanted to stand by Sergei's side in hunting his greatest prey Spider-Man whereupon he would inherit his progenitors kingdom. Kraven was pleased with the clone who he felt was his true son but revealed that his next plan involved forming a great hunt of all the animal-themed costumed individuals in the world in order to punish them for not respecting their animal avatars. (Amazing Spider-Man v5 #16)
Sergei then confronted Spider-Man and attempted to goad him into killing him as he ensured that if he was slain then Arcade would free everyone within the dome. However, Spider-Man refused and his words caused Kraven to come to a realisation about his life as he intended to know peace. Thus, he allowed Spider-Man to depart and then wore a copy of Spider-Man's black suit where he went out in the field. This led led to an encounter with his son who mistakenly believed him to be the real Spider-Man and he killed his father unwittingly. (Amazing Spider-Man v5 #22) In the aftermath, a funeral was held for Sergei Kravinoff with his clone son feeling despair at his part in his 'fathers' death. However, he came to find a note written from Sergei that he had intended for this to happen as he finally knew peace and urged his son to continue as the new Kraven. Meanwhile, at his grave, Sergei's half-brother the Chameleon bade farewell to his sibling and promised to ensure that he knew peace. He also thanked him for sparing him from his hunt and that he had his own plans for the world. (Amazing Spider-Man v5 #23)
The new Kraven later sought to make a name for himself by hunting the monsters that resided on Statten Island. This brought him into conflict with Deadpool who had become the King of the Monsters. (Deadpool v8 #2)
Personality and attributes
Powers and abilities
- Kraven the Hunter was created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko where he made his first appearance in Amazing Spider-Man v1 #15 (August, 1964).
- In Old Man Hawkeye v1 #4 (2018), an alternate world setting that was home to Old Man Logan was shown that existed in the Multiverse and designated as Earth-807128. On this Earth, the Red Skull led a supervillain uprising that massacred the superheroes of the planet. Around 50 years in this future, Kraven was known to have had grandchildren who operated as a team of bounty hunters called the Killer Kravinoffs. They were hired by the Red Skull to find and apprehend the rogue Marshal Bullseye. All three were killed by Lester who was pursuing Old Man Hawkeye across the Wastelands.
- In Spider-Verse v3 #3 (2020), an alternate version of Kraven was shown to exist on Earth-14512. This version was a criminal with a Class-C Aberrant personality who was a hunter that hunted people. It was known that he had left a trail of raid-police before he was defeated by Peni Parker's father in the SP//dr suit. Kraven was believed dead at some point but in reality he was taken by Nathan Essex and his Weapon Six program who used red diamond implants to weaponise him as a deniable asset. He then looked to target SP//dr but did not know that it was Peni Parker piloting the suit and not her father.
In other media
- In Spider-Man, Kraven the Hunter appeared in the 1990s animated television series where he was voiced by actor Gregg Berger. Sergei Kravinoff was descended from Russian nobility who was a big game hunter in Africa with him becoming a leading guide after hunting was outlawed. Maria Crawford hired him to find her colleague James Reeves who was doing research in the jungle with her being drawn to Sergei and the pair falling in love. Months later, they found Dr. Reeves who had become wild feral individual who had developed a miracle drug that could heal wounds and prevent disease or infection. The last vial of the wonder drug was given to Maria Crawford and warned to not use it under any circumstances before disappearing into the jungle. Crawford pursued him but was attacked by hyena's with Sergei saving her but he suffered serious wounds with Maria forced to give him the drug. She saved his life but he began to slowly develop new instincts to hunt other prey and became more primal as well as beastial where he adopted the name of Kraven the Hunter. Crawford left him for New York as she intended to find a cure for the drug with Kraven seeking her once more as he was still in love with her.
- In Ultimate Spider-Man, Kraven the Hunter appeared as an antagonist in the animated television series where he was voiced by actor Diedrich Bader.
- In Spider-Man, Kraven the Hunter appeared as an antagonist in the animated television series where he was voiced by actor Troy Baker.
- In Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Kraven the Hunter appeared as an antagonist in the video game where he was voiced by actor Jim Cummings.
- In The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Kraven the Hunter appeared in the video game where he was voiced by actor Steven Blum.
- Amazing Spider-Man v1
- Scarlet Spider:
- Amazing Spider-Man v5:
- Deadpool v8: