Broly is an extraterrestrial manga and anime character who features in Dragon Ball.
Broly (ブロリー Burorī) was a male Saiyan born on Planet Vegeta as the son of Paragus in the Age 732. The child was born as one of the rare Legendary Super Saiyans that were a myth regarded by his people that were said to emerge every thousand years. Due to his fathers position, he was placed within the same nursery capsule chamber that contained the monarch's own son namely Prince Vegeta IV. At the time, the Saiyans operated as interstellar mercenaries on behalf of the warlord Frieza where they devastated worlds and sold them for a profit with them resenting his control over them. The technicians operating the nursery came to be surprised to see that Broly manifested a natural untapped potential that would make him a powerful warrior. One day, the King was visiting his sons nursery capsule when he was offended at the idea of a lower class warrior occupying the same chamber as his offspring who was one of the elite. During this time, he came to learn that the young Broly had an enormous power level that far outstripped his own offspring. Thus, King Vegeta was jealous at his own son being considered weaker than a commoner. As a result, he endeavoured to eliminate the child by sending him in an attack pod and sent to Planet Vampa. The destination was an isolated world of no value and desolate conditions with King Vegeta sending the boy there for the purpose of dying. King Vegeta dispatched the pod first before arranging a meeting with Colonel Paragus who grew angry at his monarch sending Broly away under the premise that he was a danger to the cosmos with his natural power. Upon landing on Vampa, the young Broly had to contend against the various savage predators that inhabited the world where he managed to kill them due to his great power level even at a young age.
Personality and attributes
Powers and abilities
- Broly was created by Takao Koyama where he made his first non-canonical appearance in Dragon Ball Z: Broly – The Legendary Super Saiyan (1993)
- The character was reworked by Akira Toriyama and made canon with him debuting in Dragon Ball Super: Broly (2018).
- In Dragon Ball Z: Broly – The Legendary Super Saiyan, made his first appearance in the non-canon film. He was the son of Paragus where he was born as the Legendary Super Saiyan who from birth had a power level of 10,000. Whilst at the nursery, one of the fellow Saiyan children next to him was the young Kakarot who was perpetually crying. Kakarot's bawling tormented brawling and triggered the Saiyan's obsessive need to destroy anything that frightened them thus leading to Broly developing a pathological hatred towards the other child. In the time afterwards, King Vegeta came to learn of Broly's natural power level and feared him to be a threat and ordered the child to be executed whilst he himself confronted Lord Frieza. However, his father Paragus saved his son when their world was destroyed by Frieza but Broly's power managed to save himself along with his father. Thus, the pair were among the only survivors of their world as they departed to wander the universe. In the years that followed, Broly's unnatural power level grew and he became more psychotic with a near split-personality as he became a destructive monster. During one of his berserker rages, he destroyed one of his fathers eyes leading to Paragus using a control device to better maintain his hold over his son who was used as a pawn for his goals. Thus, Paragus used his son for several years as a weapon to conquer worlds in order to rule them as part of his agenda. Eventually, Paragus learnt of Earth and sought to conquer it where he found out that Kakarot along with Prince Vegeta resided on that world. Thus, he orchestrated an extravagant plan to lure the Z Warriors to Planet Shamo where upon meeting Kakarot, Borly went into his berserker rage as he succumbed to his madness as well as hatred over the child that tormented him in his childhood which caused him to shatter the control device his father used on him. Thus freed, he began a rampage, attacking Goku and his friends in his fully-powered Legendary Super Saiyan form. After killing his father (who tried to escape), casually destroying the planet Shamo, and beating Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, Gohan, and Piccolo within an inch of their lives, Broly was finally defeated when the other Z Warriors gave their power to Goku. The super-energized Super Saiyan was able to apparently destroy Broly, but in actuality, he went into a sort of comatose state, healing and increasing in power.
- In Dragon Ball Z: Broly – Second Coming, seven years later, Broly landed on Earth, and battled an older Gohan. Despite having achieved the Super Saiyan 2 level, Gohan was no match for Broly. It took a triple Kamehameha from Gohan, Goten, and a temporarily resurrected Goku to defeat the Legendary Super Saiyan, apparently once and for all.
- In Dragon Ball Z: Bio-Broly, it was shown that from the dead remains of Broly that the scientist Dr. Collie created a clone called Bio-Broly.
In other media
- In Dragon Ball FighterZ, the original iteration of Broly was introduced through DLC content as a playable character in the fighting video game.
- Dragon Ball Z: Broly – The Legendary Super Saiyan:
- Dragon Ball Super: Broly: