Dominion (Star Trek)
The Dominion is an empire that features in Star Trek.
The Dominion was an interstellar empire that was based in the Gamma Quadrant in the Milky Way Galaxy. Its foundation was created by the Changelings who long ago were persecuted by races that were deemed as solids. Such species regarded the Changelings with suspicion due to their ability to change their shape. On one such world, a wounded Changeling was saved from a mob by primitive animals who provided the individual shelter. After the danger had passed, the Changeling in gratitude vowed to give the ape-like creatures a place in a great new empire that would stretch across the Galaxy and be transformed into powerful beings. This was the basis for the Vorta who were genetically evolved from these ape-like beings. (Episode: Treachery, Faith and the Great River) Thus, the Dominion was formed where the Changelings headed this empire as a group known as the Founders with the Vorta serving as administrators whilst the genetically engineered Jem'Hadar served as its enforcers. (Episode: The Search)
The Dominion attempted an invasion of the Alpha Quadrant, leading to the Dominion War. The invasion was defeated, although they were temporarily able to take control of the Cardassians' territory. Presumably they remain one of the dominant powers in the Gamma Quadrant.
Leadership of the Dominion was held by a group of Changelings who were known as the Founders. (Episode: The Search, Part 2)
It was believed that the Dominion saw it as their sacred duty to bring order to the galaxy. (Episode: In the Pale Moonlight)
One of the subject races of the Dominion were the Karemma who were responsible for trade agreements. (Episode: The Search, Part 1)
Their starships were known to make use of phased polaron beams that were able to pierce through the shields of enemy vessels. (Episode: The Jem'Hadar)
- Female Changeling :
- Weyoun :
- The Dominion were introduced as antagonists in Star Trek: Deep Space 9.
In other media
- In Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Dominion Wars, the Dominion appeared as a playable faction in the video game.
- In Star Trek: Armada, the Dominion briefly appeared as a NPC faction in the video game. During the campaign mode, the Borg invaded Dominion space in order to assimilate a cloning facility which was used to create Locutus to lead in the conquest of the Alpha Quadrant.
- In Star Trek: Conquest, the Dominion appeared as one of the major races in the video game.
- In Star Trek Online, the Dominion made an appearance in the setting of the MMORPG.
- Star Trek: Deep Space 9: