Hulkling is a male comic superhero who features in Marvel Comics.
Dorrek VIII was a male Kree/Skrull hybrid who was the child of Captain Mar-Vell and the Princess Anelle as well as being the grandson of Emperor Dorek VII and Empress R’Kill. (Young Avengers v1 #11) It was said that Anelle had become pregnant with a male hatchling and when the identity of the father was discovered then the Emperor ordered the child to be slain. However, the child’s nurse managed to take the boy to safety before the death sentence could be carried out. The offspring’s mother was later killed when Galactus devoured the Skrull Throneworld. (Young Avengers v1 #10)
He was approached by Iron Lad to become a member of the Young Avengers after the Vision's failsafe program indicated that he was a superpowered being with the potential of becoming a hero. (Young Avengers v1 #3)
Teddy was convinced to embrace his heritage in order to end the galactic conflict that was raging across the cosmos. This saw him go into space and take his place as Emperor of the Skrulls where the Kree decided to pledge their allegiance to him. He attempted to unify the peoples of his dual heritage which he forged into the Alliance that was prepared to fight a great threat. (Incoming v1 #1)
Personality and attributes
In appearance, Teddy appeared as a young blonde haired white human teenager who was able to change into a larger green-skinned form where he took the name Hulkling though he had no connection to the Hulk. (Young Avengers v1 #3)
Powers and abilities
As such, he was a shapeshiter allowing him to alter his form though it took practice for him to make use of his ability in his role as a superhero. (Young Avengers v1 #4) In his Hulkling form, he was noted to possess super-strength as one of his powers. (Young Avengers v1 #3)
- Hulkling was created by Allan Heinberg and Jim Cheung where he made his first appearance in Young Avengers v1 #1 (April, 2005).
- Editor Tom Brevoort noted that, "Originally, Allan pitched Hulkling as a female character using her shape-changing abilities to pose as a man. I suspect this was as close as Allan felt he could get to depicting an openly gay relationship in a Marvel comic. But as we got underway... he started to have second thoughts and approached me about maintaining Hulkling and Wiccan as two involved male characters."
- For Empyre, writer Al Ewing noted in an interview on Newsarama that, “Hulkling became Emperor to save lives. By taking on the role, he was able to end the ongoing hot-and-cold war between the Kree and Skrulls, as well as call a halt to the smaller Kree Civil War. So by becoming Emperor, he's already saved millions of lives - but now, he's got a difficult job to do, and various hard decisions to make. All I can say for now is that he believes he's acting for the best of reasons - we're not turning Teddy into a moustache-twirling, cackling villain.”
In other media
- In Marvel Future Fight, Hulkling appeared as a playable character in the mobile video game.
- In Marvel Avengers Academy, Hulkling appeared as a recruitable character in the Young Avengers event of the mobile video game.
- Young Avengers v1: (2005)
- Young Avengers v2:
- New Avengers v3:
- Death Head: (2019)
- Incoming v1: (2019)