Eddie Brock is a male comic character that features in Marvel Comics.
His mother died due to complications that led to Edward's birth. (Venom: Dark Origin v1 #1) As a child, his uncle was noted to had suffered from cancer and he saw him waste away before dying with this horrifying Eddie at the time. (Venom v4 #10) When he was young, he along with his friends snuck out where he took his car and had a lot of drinks. Eddie then attempted to get back home quickly before his father noticed and in his haste his car hit and killed the next door neighbours son who died from the injuries. Eddie was deeply affected by the death and intended to plead guilty but his father Carl Brock used his connections to prevent any conviction against his son. He beat his son to convince him to plead innocent where he used his money and connections to ensure Eddie was never convicted despite him feeling guilt for his actions. (Venom v4 #10) The death deeply affected Eddie with the resulting court case bankrupting the family who were left with nothing and Eddie’s father hating him. (Venom v4 #9)
After high school, he applied to the journalism program at Empire State University. He forged his references in order to enter the university where one of the students attempted to help him find his new residence only for the pair to be attacked by thugs with Eddie only saved by Spider-Man. (Venom: Dark Origin v1 #1)
Venom No More
In this time, he sought to stop the operations of the crime lord Mister Negative where he encountered his henchmen that were running from the Wraith. (Amazing Spider-Man v1 #663)
He came to be recruited into Wonder Man's Revengers that looked to forcibly disband the Avengers who were seen as a menace to the world that did more harm than good. As such, he participated in the attack on Avengers Mansion and later on Avengers Tower. Brock alongside his team mates were defeated by the combined Avengers, New Avengers and Secret Avengers leading to arrest. Eddie stated that he found his Revenger team mates to have had crazy agendas but he did agree with the overall view that the Avengers were not a solution to problems in the world. (New Avengers Annual v2 #1)
Around this time, New York became afflicted with a disease that gave the people powers similar to Spider-Man. This caused havoc in the city with a quarantine being announced to contain its spread. Anti-Venom began targeting anyone with spider powers and used his abilities to cure them of it thus returning them to normal as he believed the disease was a curse rather than a gift. (Amazing Spider-Man v1 #668) In time, the epidemic mutated into a third stage transforming people into spider-monsters with those in these stages looking to Anti-Venom to cure them. Agent Venom was deployed upon hearing of this to capture Anti-Venom and deliver him to Horizon Labs so that a cure could be made from him. (Amazing Spider-Man v1 #670) The alien antibodies were harvested from the suit with every cell being used to develop a cure for the entirety of New York with the result being that Brock was to lose all his abilities. (Amazing Spider-Man v1 #671)
Brock later was recruited to be part of the task force that hunted for Carnage and whose field team was headed by John Jameson. (Carnage v2 #1)
For months, he continued working for the FBI and was deployed to assist in the capture of the Venom Symbiote that had been taken over by a new host named Lee Price. Together with Spider-Man, they managed to capture the Symbiote that was taken into containment where it was to be sent off-world. However, Brock broke the Symbiote from containment with it bonding to him turning him into Venom once again. (Venom v3 #6)
Exposure to the serum severely weakened his bond to the Symbiote allowing Flash to separate Venom from Brock. Eddie attempted to try to get Venom back only for Spider-Man to web him to the ground and leave him there. Dr. Steve's later used a solvent to free Eddie from the webbing with Brock looking to re-bond with the Symbiote. However, he then felt that the Anti-Venom abilities of Flash had stripped Brock of his connection to the Symbiote. (Amazing Spider-Man v1 #792)
The shock from Miles Morales allowed the Venom Symbiote to remain connected to Brock along with giving him new abilities such as the power of flight but it retained a dim connection with Knull. Together, they confronted Strickland when they came to realise that he was actually a fragment of Knull's primordial Grendel Symbiote. Rex revealed that his host had actually died long ago but he had taken his identity as he came to love the light and sought to stop Knull. He joined with Venom in order to provide the Symbiote greater power so that they could stop the god-host before he could be freed. (Venom v4 #5)
Whilst keeping a low profile, he learnt that Kasady had framed him for the murder of Lee Price making Eddie a wanted man. In desperation, he decided to seek out Spider-Man's help and together they learnt that Carnage was looking to collect the codices from former hosts of Symbiotes. Thus, they decided to work together to stop him and went to find a means of extracting the codex from Norman Osborn. Whilst at Ravencroft, the facility came under attack rom Carnage who was infecting the prisoners and created an army of followers. (Absolute Carnage v1 #1)
Personality and attributes
He believed that his entire life was the result of his father who was a old man. Eddie blamed his father for not being able to hold a relationship, a job and resulted in him having a temper. His father told Edward that his residence was not his sons home as he believed his child had brought nothing but pain, misery and shame to the family. Despite hating his father, he still said he was his son and could not stand being denied being family after losing his mother, Mary and Anne. Cancer was said to run deep within his family as his uncle and sister both died from it. (Venom v4 #9) After leaving the family home, his father had another son with another woman thus making him Eddie's kid half-brother named Dylan Brock. (Venom v4 #10)
Eddie's drive to protect the innocent stemmed from his childhood where he accidentally killed a child in a car accident. He felt enormous guilt for his actions and intended to plead guilty but his father forced him to plea innocent. By adulthood, Eddie was determined to protect other people from individuals like himself who were guilty of crimes. (Venom v4 #10)
Powers and abilities
Through a connection to the god-host and primordial Symbiote, Venom gained a number of new strengths and allow it to accomplish much more by connecting to the hive mind. This provided new abilities such as the power to manifest wings to enable the host to fly or to alter chemicals in the body to calm the host. However, this restored the connection to Knull who was able to track the Symbiote and Eddie so long as they were connected to one another. (Venom v4 #5)
- Eddie Brock was created by David Michelinie and Todd McFarlane where he made his first appearance in Web of Spider-Man v1 #18 (September, 1986).
- The character debuted as Venom in Amazing Spider-Man v1 #299 (April, 1988).
- He later appeared as Anti-Venom in Amazing Spider-Man v1 #569 (October, 2008).
- Brock then became the character Toxin in Venom v2 #17 (July, 2012).
In other media
- In Spider-Man, Eddie Brock appeared in the 1994 animated television series where he was voiced by actor Hank Azaria. He was shown as being a photographer at the Daily Bugle and a rival to Peter Parker. He attempted to get pictures of the Lizard only to lose on the assignment and after a failed unveiling of Spider-Man he was fired from the Daily Bugle. During a job interview, Brock's prospective employers work place was attacked by a Spider-Slayer causing his boss to fire him with Brock blaming Spider-Man for his misfortune.
- In Spider-Man Unlimited, Eddie Brock as Venom appeared as an antagonist in the 1999 animated television series where he was voiced by actor Brian Drummond.
- In The Spectacular Spider-Man, Eddie Brock featured in the 2008 animated series where he was voiced by Benjamin Diskin. This version appeared as a young blonde hair teenager that was the best childhood friend of Peter Parker. He got a job as a research assistant to Dr. Curt Conners.
- In Spider-Man, Eddie Brock appeared in the 2017 animated television series second season starting in the episode "How I Thwipped My Summer Vacation" where he was voiced by actor Sean Schemmel.
- In Spider-Man 3, Eddie Brock appeared as an antagonist in the live-action film where he was portrayed by actor Topher Grace.
- In Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage, Venom appeared as a protagonist and playable character in the 1994 video game adaptation of the comic storyline.
- In Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety, Venom appeared as a protagonist and playable character in the 1995 video game adaptation of the comic storyline.
- In Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, Eddie Brock as Venom appeared as an antagonist in the 2008 video game where he was voiced by actor Keith Szarabajka.
- In Spider-Man: Edge of Time, Eddie Brock as Anti-Venom appeared in the 2011 video game where he was voiced by actor Steven Blum.
- In Marvel: Avengers Alliance, Eddie Brock as Anti-Venom appeared as a character in the Facebook video game.
- In Marvel Heroes, Eddie Brock appeared as Venom where he was a playable character in the MMORPG video game and had different skins that included him as Anti-Venom and as Toxin.
- In Marvel: Contest of Champions, Eddie Brock as Venom appeared as a playable character in the iOS video game.
- Web of Spider-Man v1:
- Amazing Spider-Man v1:
- New Avengers Annual v2:
- Venom v3:
- Venom v4:
- Absolute Carnage v1: