Lady Octopus is a female comic supervillain that features in Marvel Comics.
When she was young, she came to learn of the works of Dr. Otto Octavius and came to admire him as a scientist. Such was her admiration that her father came to notice it and sought to make his daughter happy by purchasing tickets to meet him during one of his lectures. A young and excited Carolyn thus attended the lecture where Dr. Octavius was showcasing his designs for a mechanical harness and came to speak to Trainer. (Spider-Man Unlimited v1 #18)
During night time, she was on a mission to break into a building to steal some papers when she was attacked by Mockingbird and Ronin who had gone out on patrol with the two superheroes knowing her out. (New Avengers v1 #63)
Lady Octopus was among the animal-themed individuals kidnapped for Kraven the Hunters great hunt. She rallied under the Vulture when they began striking back against the hunters though warned that they were suffering heavy casualties in the process. (Amazing Spider-Man v5 #21) Afterwards, she was recruited by Janice Lincoln to join the newest incarnation of the Sinister Syndicate. (Amazing Spider-Man v5 #26)
Personality and attributes
Powers and abilities
- Lady Octopus was created by J. M. DeMatteis and Angel Medina where she made her first appearance Amazing Spider-Man v1 #406 (October, 1995)
In other media
- In Spider-Man, Carolyn Trainer appeared in the setting of the 2017 animated television series second seas episode "Between an Ock and a Hard Place" where she was voiced by actor Kari Wahlgren. She was shown as a brilliant young woman with a PhD in electronics who was an admirer of the works of Doctor Octavius. After he became Doctor Octopus, the supervillain was arrested by the efforts of Spider-Man where he was sent to the Cellar for rehabilitation. After learning of this, Trainer faked a criminal record so that she could be in the cell next to him so that she could speak to her idol. Octavius then manipulated her into becoming a supervillain and to secretly aid him in obtaining crystals he needed for his secret experiment in modifying the Neuro-Cortex to enhance his own mind. During this time, Caroyln adopted a guise similar to his as Doctor Octopus where she constructed a backpack that produced numerous tentacles and she used enhanced Octobots to aid her leading to her confrontation with Spider-Man. During one such fight, she revealed that she was working for Doctor Octopus who had seemingly left the life of a supervillain to return to working at Horizon High. Spider-Man went to investigate where he found Octavius using the minds of Miles Morales, Anya Corazon, and Gwen Stacy to enhance the performance of the Neuro Cortex to give him enhanced psychokinetic powers that was his plan with him using Trainer to aid him. Upon hearing this, Carolyn in anger attacked him where she teamed up with Spider-Man in defeating leading to her admitting that she made a terrible supervillain as the police arrived at the school. Spider-Man commented that she had a brilliant mind and that she should not squander a second chance at redemption leading to Carolyn abandoning the tentacles she had constructed for herself.
- In Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, a new female Lady Octopus was created for Marvel 2099 where she appeared as a villainous boss character in the videogame and was voiced by Tara Strong. This version was Dr. Serena Patel who was a head scientist of Alchemax's Shadow Division where she was responsible for black-ops dangerous super-weapons and twisted experiments.
- In Marvel: Avengers Alliance, Lady Octopus was teased in the Facebook video game where she appeared on a cover for Season 2 release as among the villain's bring targeted by the Circle of 8.
- Amazing Spider-Man v1: (1995)
- Spider-Man Unlimited v1:
- New Avengers v1:
- Invincible Iron Man:
- Amazing Spider-Man v5: