New Republic (Star Wars)
The New Republic is a government that features in Star Wars.
The New Republic was a galactic government that formed following the Battle of Endor when Emperor Palpatine was killed on-board the second Death Star. It was formed from the Rebel Alliance who had long opposed the tyrannical rule of the Galactic Empire with these resistance groups seeking a restoration of the Old Republic.
It ultimately signed a peace treaty with the remnants of the Empire with this being the Galactic Concordance. With its signing, they began to drastically reduce their military capabilities as per the details of the treaty. This drew the ire of rebel hero Leia Organa who warned that the Imperial remnants were still seeking power. Despite her warnings, she was sidelined by the political process causing her to leave the New Republic in order to found the Resistance that became determined in opposing the Empire's successor which was the First Order.
A leading body within the Republic was the Senate that was revived from the Old Republic.
- Poe Dameron :
- Kazuda Xiono : a male human starfighter pilot who was recruited by Poe Dameron to become a spy for the Resistance on the First Order.
- Initially, the New Republic only appeared in the Star Wars Legends expanded universe before it appeared in Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens.
- In the Star Wars Legends continuity, the Rebel Alliance after the Battle of Endor established the Alliance of Free Planets which eventually became the New Republic. It came to take hold of Coruscant and continued to battle the various Imperial factions over the Galactic Civil War. During the Yuuzhan Vong War, the New Republic was invaded by the extragalactic invaders where a combination of infiltration and corruption caused the government to not actively engage the enemy. This culminated in the loss of Coruscant itself and sometime afterwards the New Republic was dissolved and replaced with the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances that united the galaxy against the Yuuzhan Vong.
In other media
- In Star Wars: Battlefront 2, the New Republic appeared in the setting of the 2017 video game. Iden Versio joined their ranks after she became disillusioned with the Empire when they razed her homeworld. This led to her still commanding the Corvus that was part of the New Republic fleet as they fought against the remnants of the Empire.
- Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens: