The Death Star is a superweapon that features in Star Wars.
The Death Star was a moon-sized space station that was an incredibly powerful weapon developed by the Galactic Empire, intended as the weapon that would annihilate the Rebel Alliance. The moon-sized Death Star could unleash enough destructive power through its main weapon to destroy entire planets.
The original Death Star was used to destroy Princess Leia Organa's planet of Alderaan before it was destroyed by the rebels; in particular, by targeted explosives launched by new X-Wing pilot Luke Skywalker.
A new Death Star was built over the next few years, more powerful with an impenetrable defensive shield. This second Death Star was narrowly destroyed by a rebel assault, during which Lando Calrissian led an attack on the Death Star's core.
- The Death Star was created by George Lucas and featured in the Star Wars universe.
- In the Star Wars Legends continuity, it was established that the Death Star had undergone a long period of development. During the reign of the Empire, the plans for building the station were given to the top secret Maw installation where the scientist Qwi Xux naively believed it to be a machine designed to help mine dead worlds. Grand Moff Tarkin had a prototype developed at the Maw whilst the actual station was built elsewhere.
In other media
- In Star Wars: Battlefront, the Death Star appeared in the setting of the video game. During the campaign mode, it was shown that the 501st Legion were deployed on the station providing security where they successfully thwarted a Rebel attack. Many members of the Legion were killed during the destruction of the station at Yavin IV.
- In Star Wars: Battlefront, the Death Star appeared as a setting in the video game.
- In Star Wars: Battlefront II, the Death Star appeared as a setting in the 2017 video game.
- Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope:
- Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi:
- Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of Sith:
- Rogue One: