The Trade Federation is an organization that features in Star Wars.
The Trade Federation was an interstellar business conglomerate that existed in the years of the Old Republic with it being run by the Neimoidians race. They came to be one of the wealthiest corporate organizations in the galaxy as they controlled most of the shipping that passed through the Rim territories.
They later came under the control of the Sith Lord Darth Sidious who gave them orders to send their battle droids to invade the planet Naboo to create a government crisis. A Droid Control Ship was placed into orbit that controlled their Droid Army that was used to occupy Naboo.
Afterwards, the Federation continued its secret subversion of the Republic and was among the corporations that came to meet with Count Dooku. Their delegation came upon the meeting on Geonosis where they stood alongside the likes of the Techno Union, InterGalactic Banking Clan, Corporate Alliance and others. This led to a formal declaration of the Confederacy of Independent Systems that declared their separation from the Galactic Republic. At that time, the Republic had established the Grand Army of the Republic that was deployed with the Clone Troopers to engage this newly formed hostile state. This resulted in the galaxy being engulfed in the Clone Wars with the Trade Federation operating alongside the Separatists.
Leadership of the Federation was held by a person holding the title of Viceroy.
Its power led to them getting their own representative in the Republic Senate who lobbied for even greater power.
To enforce its operations, the Trade Federation made use of soldiers that consisted entirely of droids with these forming the Droid Army.
One component in their military was the Droid Control Ship that used a central computer to control the armies of battle droids. Destruction of the ship caused all the battle droids to shut down as they were completely reliant on the signals from the control vessel. Over time, the practice of using Droid Control Ships was stopped with Battle Droids containing their own droid brains allowing them to operate independently.
- Nute Gunray :
- The Trade Federation appeared in the setting of the Prequel Trilogy where they first appeared in Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace.
In other media
- In Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, the Trade Federation appeared as antagonists in the video game adaptation of the live-action film.
- In Star Wars: Episode I Jedi Power Battles, the Trade Federation battle droids appeared as antagonists in the video game set during Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace.
- In Star Wars: Starfighter, the Trade Federation appeared as antagonists in the video game that was set during the Invasion of Naboo. Players took control of Naboo fighter pilots of Bravo Squadron as they fought the Trade Federation occupation of the planet.
- In Star Wars: Obi-Wan, the Trade Federation appeared as antagonists in the setting of the video game set around the time of the Invasion of Naboo.
- In Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, the Trade Federation appeared as a playable faction in the video game. During the campaign mode, the players played as battle droid commander OOM-9 who led the conquest of Naboo.
- In Star Wars: Battlefront, the Trade Federation appeared in the setting of the video game. The campaign mode showed the Droid Army of the Trade Federation during the occupation of Naboo and they later sent their forces against the Wookiee's after they taxed the Federation activities on the planet.
- Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace:
- Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones:
- Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith:
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars:
- Star Wars: Clone Wars: